how cold is too cold

dblock

Forums Enthusiast
How cold is too cold to take your dog out for a walk, Its 19 degrees and I got sad puppy dog eyes staring at me and poking me in the butt, let's go momma
!let's go Momma
 
19 degrees is fine. It is below zero here -6F right now and it has gotten down to to -19F during the night with windchills around -25 to -38 F that is too cold for man or beast.

I rethink walking anytime the windchill gets to about 0 F if I can stand it so can my dogs. In fact, they thought nothing of the below zero weather this morning. I just wanted to go back to bed.
 
I agree with Dr. Shelli. I wouldn't leave a dog outside in really cold temperatures, but as long as you're outside moving with them, either walking or playing, they're happier than me! It's below 20 here today and windy but we had to go outside for our daily ball game or cabin fever would be rampant inside. I was freezing but they're wearing those double fur coats and happy as clams. The snow just adds to their glee! :smile2:
 
I agree with Ann. The weather is the same here, 20's and windy. My dog couldn't be happier. She still got her 30 minute morning walk and couldn't wait to run around in the park.

I think it really depends on you and your dog. I bundled up as best as I could, but I was still cold. I really have no choice though because my dog goes bonkers without exercise. If she showed any sign of being cold I would take her home.
 
I just let mine outside in a pen--it was about 12 degrees here this morning. They usually stay out 20 or 30 minutes--today, I heard insistent barking at the door after about 10. They are not into roughing it.
 
Totally agree. As long as you are moving and aren't staying out for prolonged periods, they'll be fine.

We went for a 30 minute walk last night when it was 8 degrees with a windchill of -6. We were all fine.
 
Mine are out running right now and it is 11 with a windchill of -8 :eek2: They are a lot braver than me, I stay in when its this cold! But they love it, they stay outside for about 10 minutes then want in to drink and warm up, couple hours later they are ready to go again. The only dog that complains a little is the poodle puppy but he has shaved toes.
 
Agreed

We agree with previous posts on this. We have a fenced backyard. The dogs went out at 7AM. Temp was -15 F with some wind. They came to the door about five minutes later.
 
I'm feeling guilty, but I'm not into walking at the moment. We've got a major inversion going on here in Utah, and the air isn't healthy to breathe. Once it clears up I'm going to try to do better at getting a daily walk in for Callie, but at the moment she's making due with playing fetch and tug inside.
 
It's 20F here with a wind chill. I had to come home from work today as part of the building was without power for a while and I had to heat (boss told me to go home unless I wanted to hang out at the hospital in the library for a while to keep warm). I can't keep mine in.
 
Back
Top