How did you get started?

Agility

When I first bought Shadow he was 6 months old and I never even heard of agility. Anyway's, I took Shadow to an obedience class in town here called Doggie 101. My instructor Tammy threw agility in for fun and Shadow loved it. She suggested I take him else where for further training and so I did. We trained at a place in Manchester Ct. called TailsUWin and the rest as I say is history.The only thing that sucked is Shadow had a big advantage over all the other dogs in the class. We had to start from scratch as I knew nothing about the sport and the only thing Shadow did not know was contacts.He already did all the equipment and was weaving but still we had to learn together.Then, I left Tails and went to SNEAK(Southeren New England Agility Klub where we train under 5 time world team member Erin Schaefer.
 
I'm just learning along with Maia. I thought it would be something fun to do. I really had no idea what so ever as to how much work and thought and skill is needed on both the dogs and the handler's part! But I must say, I am thouroughly enjoying it, as is Maia I am sure. I cannot wait to actually compete with her.
 
I had wanted to try agility for a long time. Justice's breeder asked me if I wanted to go to agility class with her as she have only done obedience too. So we both went to class, Justice and Sunday already had their AKC UDs by then. They had the best start line stays they had ever seen in the beginners class.:lol: We were clueless handlers but the dogs humored us. Justice use to look at me like "when you know what you want me to do let me know, OK." :rolleyes2:
 
I went in knowing I wanted an agility dog. When I lost my first sheltie to old age (he was 16 years old), I specifically went looking for an agility prospect. I ended up purchasing Athena, who is sired by a MACH dog (now has his MACH2). She was by and large what I wanted in an agility dog.
It took much longer than it should've, getting started in agility. I went to a trainer who a friend had recommended to me. This trainer was rough with the dogs, and took a dog who came in with no fears, who wanted to please, and tried anything I asked, and turned her into one who would shut down at the sight of agility equipment. We ended up quitting. She wasn't happy... and I wasn't either. It took several years to get her past the damage that trainer did.
We came back just a little over a year ago, and started classes fresh with someone who would be unable to take us to the top, but was a great trainer to start Athena back with. She was exactly the type of person Athena needed to help bring her back. When we finished the three foundation classes, and the one novice competition class, we went on to start showing. She finished her NA and NAJ her first weekend out, with 6 Qs and 6 wins. From there, we moved on to training with my area's best trainer. She and I have both learned, and moved up the levels quickly. Now, we're working on our MACH, and I'm still with the same trainer.
 
I have absolutely no experience in agility training. Bailey just loves to run really fast and jump high. I'm taking her to obedience class at the end of the month and than when she turns one, we are going to take an agility class. If she likes it and is good at it, then hopefully one day we can compete.
 
Ever since I first heard about agility, I wanted to give it a try. The combination of an elderly arthritic dog (whom I adored) and a demanding work schedule made it impractical. When I knew I was getting a puppy, I knew it was time to give it a try. All we've done so far is train, but I think we'll be ready to trial sometime this summer. Although, I'm wondering if we don't need to consider a more serious trainer. That's something I'll be investigating next week, but I've heard some stories about some of the trainers that make me a bit nervous. I don't want to lose the sense of fun that Phebe and I both currently enjoy.
 
Ever since I first heard about agility, I wanted to give it a try. The combination of an elderly arthritic dog (whom I adored) and a demanding work schedule made it impractical. When I knew I was getting a puppy, I knew it was time to give it a try. All we've done so far is train, but I think we'll be ready to trial sometime this summer. Although, I'm wondering if we don't need to consider a more serious trainer. That's something I'll be investigating next week, but I've heard some stories about some of the trainers that make me a bit nervous. I don't want to lose the sense of fun that Phebe and I both currently enjoy.

I don't know many top agility handlers/trainers but with my experience with obedience when considering going to a new trainer it is best observe a class or talked to someone about their style of training. I know serveral top OTCH obedience trainers who I would not take lessons from. They are to harsh and use techniques I'm not comfortable. They do get results(great ones) but the dog suffers for it. If the training style doesn't mesh with you, you and your dog will be miserable.
 
I don't know many top agility handlers/trainers but with my experience with obedience when considering going to a new trainer it is best observe a class or talked to someone about their style of training. I know serveral top OTCH obedience trainers who I would not take lessons from. They are to harsh and use techniques I'm not comfortable. They do get results(great ones) but the dog suffers for it. If the training style doesn't mesh with you, you and your dog will be miserable.

This is a very good point. There are always different training styles and training methods. Some may be more or less effective and that can depend on the trainer, the handler or the dog's learning/teaching styles. Also, some styles may be effective but may not jive with what you're going for. Some people take things VERY seriously, and forget about the fun. You want to make sure that you don't lose sight of that trying to be competitive (sounds like no one has, it was more of a general "you") :smile2:
 
I know serveral top OTCH obedience trainers who I would not take lessons from. They are to harsh and use techniques I'm not comfortable. They do get results(great ones) but the dog suffers for it. If the training style doesn't mesh with you, you and your dog will be miserable.

I agree and have experience myself. I took Chinook to a very reputable obedience trainer that has and keeps winning and putting very impressive titles on dogs. But the methods taught there are not what I am comfortable with and refuse to use. I, and Chinook too, were miserable in class. I dreaded going. I do not plan on going back. Since there are no obedience/rally insturctors around here that teach with the methods I prefer, I am now going to be depending on books and friends' help. Luckly for me, the agility trainers that I use with Maia teach the way I like - no corrections, no lures, no negative reinforcement. I see the difference in the dog's attitudes.
 
Back
Top