Hello all!
Here's a (difficult) question. How fast does giving b-vitamin supplements work? My dog is deficient in both b12 and folate, and I'm now giving him supplements (250ug for b12 and 200ug for folate). Will the levels be up in a few days, or will it take longer? The reason I'm asking is that a year ago he was blood tested and both his levels were fine, but he'd just gotten a few tablets of those vitamins on the days before. Maybe three tablets or so, and if I remember correctly, not even on the days right before the blood work. His levels were fine then, but could it have been just because of those few tablets? He hadn't been given neither supplement for months and months before this. (I was so stupid for giving them then! I didn't realize he'd be tested so soon). Could he actually have been deficient even then, and just experiencing a passing bump from those few tablets? He was deficient in the past, and then it took four weeks to even get the folate from 5 to 12 (should be over 21). In his "okay" test his folate was 30, but could it have been so good just because of the few tablets, or was he really not deficient then?
This is probably a vet question--I hope someone will find it...
Here's a (difficult) question. How fast does giving b-vitamin supplements work? My dog is deficient in both b12 and folate, and I'm now giving him supplements (250ug for b12 and 200ug for folate). Will the levels be up in a few days, or will it take longer? The reason I'm asking is that a year ago he was blood tested and both his levels were fine, but he'd just gotten a few tablets of those vitamins on the days before. Maybe three tablets or so, and if I remember correctly, not even on the days right before the blood work. His levels were fine then, but could it have been just because of those few tablets? He hadn't been given neither supplement for months and months before this. (I was so stupid for giving them then! I didn't realize he'd be tested so soon). Could he actually have been deficient even then, and just experiencing a passing bump from those few tablets? He was deficient in the past, and then it took four weeks to even get the folate from 5 to 12 (should be over 21). In his "okay" test his folate was 30, but could it have been so good just because of the few tablets, or was he really not deficient then?
This is probably a vet question--I hope someone will find it...