How much do you pay for dental cleaning? Sandstorm's estimate is $750 to 1200, have to cancel

KarenCurtis

Forums Sage
I brought Sandstorm to the vet about three weeks ago, and he had some teeth examined, he needs a cleaning. The vet (I had never seen her before) said it would be around 300-400 dollars. I thought this was great, because I remembered paying around 700-800 for a tooth extraction and cleaning a few years ago. Well, this vet was WRONG and I am quite annoyed. I got the estimate in an email and the low estimate is around 700 to 1200 depending on extraction. Now I have to cancel and I feel bad, but I can't pay that. A few years ago we had to, Sandstorm had a broken tooth that needed to come out. We brush his teeth twice a week, it doesn't seem to make much difference. I do feel bad, because now we are not preventing future extractions by cancelling. Ugh! Thanks for letting me vent, I don't know if any other options are available, or how we can help his teeth now.
 
That is outrageously expensive!

Baron just had a root canal, reconstruction on his chipped canine, and a dental cleaning for around $850! And that was for a specialist dental vet!!!!

Shop around... my normal vet charges around $450!
 
That is outrageously expensive!

Baron just had a root canal, reconstruction on his chipped canine, and a dental cleaning for around $850! And that was for a specialist dental vet!!!!

Shop around... my normal vet charges around $450!

I know, it depends on area also. I see you are from Grosse Pointe, I used to live there! Actually in Grosse Pointe Woods. It may be that it depends on area- I am in Massachusetts. I plan on calling another vet tomorrow, but I'm afraid the price may be similar. I also think if we don't do this, an extraction is in his near future. Ugh, thank you!
 
I would seriously shop around, Karen. Frankly, it would be worth a bit of a drive. When you find a competent, reasonable vet to clean Sandstorm's teeth, I recommend telling your primary vet that you couldn't afford her prices for this particular procedure. If we don't stand up to overcharging, it won't end.BTW, I live in Loudoun County, VA, which is considered a pricey locale. My vet charges $350.
 
I would seriously shop around, Karen. Frankly, it would be worth a bit of a drive. When you find a competent, reasonable vet to clean Sandstorm's teeth, I recommend telling your primary vet that you couldn't afford her prices for this particular procedure. If we don't stand up to overcharging, it won't end.BTW, I live in Loudoun County, VA, which is considered a pricey locale. My vet charges $350.

I know you are right! I'm calling a place tomorrow, I may also tell my vet I need to shop around
 
Price for a regular dental at my former clinic, starts at 500.00. So I called another- -starts 635.00. This is going the wrong direction!
A lady that ran a little local rescue recommended two low cost clinics, one of which I had taken both boys to for neutering (75 bucks each vs 300 each at former clinic). So I called them- -145.00.
If you have any low cost clinics anywhere within reason, check them out.
It was just this issue that made me go bat guano about learning how to keep Fillion's teeth clean now that we went through this.
 
Good luck with your quest to find a reasonable vet to perform the teeth cleaning procedure! I ended up driving an hour for the canine dental specialist.

I live in the Woods also! Grew up in the Park.
 
I get that Vet's need to make a living but some of the prices charged and the ranges are UNBELIEVABLE. Shop around is right, but make SURE you understand the billing. So many times what is quoted doesn't include ALL charges, that is what I noticed and I think that is unfair and underhanded. I am not talking about finding something in the midst of a procedure. I am talking about the "additional" fees, taxes, expenses that might not have been disclosed.
 
Good luck with your quest to find a reasonable vet to perform the teeth cleaning procedure! I ended up driving an hour for the canine dental specialist.

I live in the Woods also! Grew up in the Park.
Thanks, we first moved there from a Windsor Ontario, I was there until age 9. I remember skating on Lake St. Claire. I would love to visit the northern peninsula.
I cancelled Sandstorms appointment and told the vet tech I got a quote for $400, a couple hundred more than that for extractions- big difference, she didn't have much to say. Thanks!
 
Price for a regular dental at my former clinic, starts at 500.00. So I called another- -starts 635.00. This is going the wrong direction!
A lady that ran a little local rescue recommended two low cost clinics, one of which I had taken both boys to for neutering (75 bucks each vs 300 each at former clinic). So I called them- -145.00.
If you have any low cost clinics anywhere within reason, check them out.
It was just this issue that made me go bat guano about learning how to keep Fillion's teeth clean now that we went through this.
We don't really have those nearby, but thanks. We are going to be more vigilant!
 
Back
Top