How to teach my sheltie to fetch ball

Thank you for the advise.

I will follow what Strider said. Hopefully Kobe learns quickly.
Kobe holds balls/toys in his mouth when he plays with our Norwich terrier Bailey.
He likes playing chase around the living room with her.
Just that he doesn't bring it to me often.

Perhaps Bailey is too much of a distraction.
I'll keep her in a different room during training.

Kobe is easier to train than Bailey. Longer attention span and not so stuborn.
He has come a long way since we got him from a kennel.
People commented that he is much more calmer now. I also see a gradual improvement in the last 15 months since we got him.
He used to have a bad case of fear aggression toward people and dogs.
He is fine with people now, actually likes people to pad him.
Still agressive toward some dogs but friendly to others. Not sure how he decides who is friend who is not.
Hopefully he will overcome all his agression and fear one day.

Thanks.
 
Strider's advise is great. Hopefully Kobe will be retrieving in no time.

Diva loves to retrieve tennis balls. She is a manic. My first one with the ball. Justice likes the chase and is not so much into the ball. Ember has no interest never has, never will. She retrieves for obedience and that it.

This is what happens when you leave the chuck it unattended with Diva around.
http://www.sheltieforums.com/album.php?albumid=172&pictureid=2601
 
Trapp learned how to fetch,without much effort at all.What I remember was when I threw the item,I started with a wiffle ball,once I threw it,he automatically ran after it,and I just praised,jumped up & down,made a really big deal out of it,and he instantly picked it up in his mouth.

Sometimes he would bring it back,and other times he would drop it a ways from me. I eventually just started with other objects like RonJan suggested.It really is a big deal to Trapp.He loves to fetch and bring things back.

I remember that we played alot in the house also,prior to Jasper comnig home every morning,Trapp would bring me a toy of his from the living room.No matter where I was sitting having my morning coffee,we would play fetch.He would literally paw me on my leg,he still does it to get my attention.

He will fetch just about anything I throw...Frisbees being his # 1 item.He expects one of us to toss every night.His day is not complete unless he plays frisbee.

I think half the battle is getting them to hold something in thier mouths.
 
Last edited:
Kobe knows how to fetch ball now.
He is a quick learner especially when our Norwich terrier is not distracting him.
He gets very excited playing fetch. When we walk him this helps him to concentrate on the ball rather than feeling anxious when he sees dogs that he doesn't know.
 
Kobe knows how to fetch ball now.
He is a quick learner especially when our Norwich terrier is not distracting him.
He gets very excited playing fetch. When we walk him this helps him to concentrate on the ball rather than feeling anxious when he sees dogs that he doesn't know.

That's great! I love playing ball with Deja.
 
I'll have to start trying more with Ginny. She really doesn't seem to have a lot of interest in playing fetch. After two throws she's bored and stops bringing it back. I have to figure out how to keep her interest and help her realize how fun it can be.
 
Good job, Kobe! I have to say that Lexi will fetch anything, EXCEPT a ball. She will chase it, but has no interest after that.
 
I'll have to start trying more with Ginny. She really doesn't seem to have a lot of interest in playing fetch. After two throws she's bored and stops bringing it back. I have to figure out how to keep her interest and help her realize how fun it can be.

Good Job Kobe!! It's a great tool for redirection, so glad he's learning to love it!

If you want to get Ginny to keep her interest, try throwing it and when she has it in her mouth RUN like the dickens the other way.. she should follow you.. most of the time with the ball still in her mouth... You become the reward, the fun! As long as you have no shame we become the fool the dog comes running to, cuz our antics are more fun than ANYTHING else LOL
 
Good Job Kobe!! It's a great tool for redirection, so glad he's learning to love it!

If you want to get Ginny to keep her interest, try throwing it and when she has it in her mouth RUN like the dickens the other way.. she should follow you.. most of the time with the ball still in her mouth... You become the reward, the fun! As long as you have no shame we become the fool the dog comes running to, cuz our antics are more fun than ANYTHING else LOL

Thanks! I'll try that!
 
I did just as Strider said~

Our Trapp lives for a tennis ball & frisbee.Even last night we noticed at a ball game..he became a differant dog,and watched that softball being thrown.He was ready & willing to get in the field to help catch.
 
Back
Top