I am quickly losing what is left of my sanity

Lahree

Forums Enthusiast
As most of you are familiar with, we have the stupid neighbor dog (SND) that bit Ellie when Ellie was about 12 weeks old and they are mortal enemies. Both of them attack the privacy fence when they hear each other out in the yards. Ellie slams into the fence and attacks it like she is a deranged, enraged rabid dog. The SND acts exactly the same way on her side of the fence.

Well, guess what? Now the neighbors on the other side of us just got some kind of dog. We can't see it of course, but we can hear it and it loves to bark at Ellie. Ellie now is completely ba-ZERK when she hears that dog outside--which it is ALL THE TIME.

Ellie is completely, utterly, totally out-of-control when she is outside. She smashes into the fence, she jumps, she barks, she howls, completely flips out AND SHE NEVER LETS UP! We are at our wits end. She has to go to the bathroom SOME time! We can't not let her out.

We have had the on-going problem with SND for three years, but that neighbor was gone a lot (with her dog), so it was peaceful for a long time. Now she's back and now this other neighbor has a vocal, reactive dog.

Just shoot me now.
 
Ouch, I feel your pain. We put up a privacy fence years ago because the neighbor's dog is insane and actually pulled some hair out of my little one while she was sniffing the wind with her back against the fence.

Our 'SND' still gnashes and growls and barks incessantly and jumps at the fence and Harper was returning the greeting until I coaxed her away from the fence by constant commands and promise of treats. We have to keep up on her each time that she is outside. She too will bark and snarl in lieu of doing her business if I am not there to tell her no! She is much better now, since it is the norm and she knows how I feel about it all.

Our neighbors who at first were put off by the fence have calmed down since their dog bit a woman last year and the reality set in.

P.S. I thought that I too would lose my sanity however I'm not that lucky and neither I suspect are you!!

I hope this helps.

Kate :gaah
 
Last edited:
Off the top of my head I wonder what would happen if you took the dog out to the yard on lead and tried to stay away from the fences. Maybe a lot of high value treats to get her mind back to you although I know that seems a lot easier said than done. By the sounds of it even using an xpen in the centre of the yard wouldn't help because she might try to take it with her to get to the other dog. What is she like with other dogs that aren't in the neighbouring yards?
 
I totally feel your pain! I have the same issue. Our neighbor's dogs are outside 90% of the time, and Bentley goes crazy when they are out there because they are barking and reactive, too.

Honestly, I just don't let Bentley out without a leash if they are out there. And if I happen to be lucky enough to go out when they aren't outside, I bring some delicious treats and hope to be quick enough to call him before they are let out.
 
I recommend one of those devices that sends an obnoxious sound to the dog's hearing when they bark.
 
I feel your pain!!! Our issue is a group of skateboarders that like to skate in front of a building across the street from us. In the apartment, I turn up the TV and block off the window, so Bailey can't hear or see them.

I try not to walk Bailey when they're outside. It's a real struggle when she really has to go and they're still skateboarding. Sometimes they are there for 2 hours! :gaah

I recommend one of those devices that sends an obnoxious sound to the dog's hearing when they bark.

I don't recommend this for a reactive dog. It can actually make them more reactive. Dogs don't always make the right association that you want. She might think the other dogs are making the ultra-sonic sound, which will make Ellie or the neighbor's dogs even angrier.

It may also scare them and then Ellie could be afraid to go in the backyard.

I tried one a few times. The first time Bailey figured out how to bark without setting it off and the second time, it made Bailey more reactive. Instead of her associating her bark with the sound, she associated the neighbors with the sound. So every time she heard the neighbors she was even more angry and barked more because she thought they were making the terrible sound.
 
My BIL has a fence and SND. At my BIL house I just have to leash up mine and leave, one- because I can not work with 2 dogs at once and second because I can't afford any rehearsals of behavior I do not want to see. So leash walking is good option.
I have been successful recalling my dogs out of dog park fence fighting, and at my friend's house.
This problem is usually multifaceted. What works with my friend's neighbors .... I started feeding their dogs so they are less territorial and more looking for treats. Also neighbors are nice people so it is controlled by agreeing on times when dogs out. Neighbors are also have been working with their dogs to be quiet when humans with them. I am turning tables to make it a game for my dogs to send them to the fence and then recall...ask for behavior, give treat... send back... it helps to put MY perspective and MY rules on things...
 
I don't have dogs on the other sides of the fence but there are loud kids with loud toys,basketball nets, and a trampoline. I play ball with my dogs which seems to really distract them as they are focused on the ball.
 
I know your frustration too well. :gaah you would think a good neighbor would work with you on letting dogs out when yours isn't out and the other way around. My neighbor would let their dog out only when mine was out. I think they enjoyed watching Danny get so crazy. Their dog ran over onto my property to get into a fight with Danny so he hates the other dog. Danny was on a leash and their dog was running loose. I called animal control and filed complaints every time something happened like that. My neighbors never wanted to work out the problem. They finally moved. I walked Danny a lot more to avoid him getting so crazy. Plus kept all doors and windows closed in summer and ran air conditioning. When my bad neighbors moved we had a party.:winkgrin:
 
So sorry your going through this. I know how hard it is.
:gaah

I had that situation a few years ago with a dog I had. The neighbor was so bad. I tried to talk to her. She just told me tough. She would deliberatly put her dog out as soon as mine was out. I would work all day, come home and want a few min in the yard with my dog. She would make sure her dog was out. As soon as I would go in she would call her dog in. I'd go out she would put her dog out. I got so upset I ended up having to go to the doctor. I was near a breakdown. We were renters so my husband finally said this is no way to live so we moved. Most people own their homes so they can't just move. It was move or litterally my sanity would be gone.
 
Back
Top