I finally brought a Dremel

Caro

Moderator
So you'd think after reading about your Dremels for the past 10 years I would have one by now! But you know with Deska's aversion to power tools I avoided the dreaded Dremel and just clipped and filed nails.

Well Tully now has a nail growing under her paw so I relented and brought a Dremel Micro. I'll let you know how I go - it's gonna be interesting, I'm nervous already, she has such little feet and black nails!
 
You will do fine. I have never hit the quick ever using the Dremel!
I have cut the quick many times with clippers!

The benefit of the Dremel is it takes off so little at a time on slow speed.

Let us know how it goes!
 
I hate those black nails, Finnie has more black than clear but at least with the Dremel I don't worry about going too short. It's funny, Finnie with all his issues (hates grooming table, doesn't like to be put on his side, hates to be picked up) is better with the Dremel than Piper is. Piper has the most sensitive back paws he's forever trying to pull the paw away! Even when I give him a bath and I rinse him, that spray of water on his feet he hates too!
 
So far no good, Tully walked off in me. I've got the finest sanding head on, should I try a courser one to be faster?
Looks like the quick in the overgrown nail is quite low. But I'm pretty useless at holding the magnifying light (lights the black nail) and the paw and Dremel. I really need a third hand.
 
I hate those black nails, Finnie has more black than clear but at least with the Dremel I don't worry about going too short. It's funny, Finnie with all his issues (hates grooming table, doesn't like to be put on his side, hates to be picked up) is better with the Dremel than Piper is. Piper has the most sensitive back paws he's forever trying to pull the paw away! Even when I give him a bath and I rinse him, that spray of water on his feet he hates too!

Fillion pitches an absolute fit about his back feet! I finally got tired of fighting him and started smearing some peanut butter on the grooming arm post. Distracts him long enough I can quickly dremel his back nails.

My replacement battery came yesterday--I only got two years out of the last one. Maybe they just don't make em to last anymore. It sure made a difference on high speed. I use a pedi-paws replacement sanding wheel on the dremel--its bigger and courser and gets it done quicker!
 
So far no good, Tully walked off in me. I've got the finest sanding head on, should I try a courser one to be faster?
Looks like the quick in the overgrown nail is quite low. But I'm pretty useless at holding the magnifying light (lights the black nail) and the paw and Dremel. I really need a third hand.
for lighting- get a head lamp so you don't need to hold it. they also sell those with magnifying flipdowns....
mine know that cookies come at the end so they are willing to endure the dremel.
when I started, it was a cookie after every nail- now, it's when all four paws are done......
 
Fillion pitches an absolute fit about his back feet! I finally got tired of fighting him and started smearing some peanut butter on the grooming arm post. Distracts him long enough I can quickly dremel his back nails.

My replacement battery came yesterday--I only got two years out of the last one. Maybe they just don't make em to last anymore. It sure made a difference on high speed. I use a pedi-paws replacement sanding wheel on the dremel--its bigger and courser and gets it done quicker!

Mine has lasted me 4 years so far! Perhaps I should order another battery now, it hold only enough charge to do 2 dogs now.
 
Mine has lasted me 4 years so far! Perhaps I should order another battery now, it hold only enough charge to do 2 dogs now.
My first that came with the dremel lasted pretty long, but when I got the replacement from Dremel on amazon, it only made it two years before I was constantly recharging, plus it wasn't powering the motor like it should either. Didn't realize that until I used the fresh one for the first time!
 
Minnie has 9 black nails

I use "between" sanding head
Quickly switches between the nails as sandpaper can make the nail warm.

I have never hit a nerve with the grinder

Minnie is lying on her back in my lap

I sweep the paw into a towel so the machine can not get hold of her coat (terribly - tried)
 
Back
Top