I think Eevee is blind after spay...

Well I was just shocked to see this thread,nearly chocked on my coffee.

First and formost,just take a deep breath,don't be making hasty decisions about Evee,until she has a full evaluation from your vet.

I can only offer all the support & guidance to you,and as a family. As an owner of a deaf & blind sheltie,I can say for sure,that if the blindness is permanent,she can most definately..100% have a quality of life.

Evee needs all the love & reassurance & guidance right now.I am sure she is confused.

I think first things first,get her checked by your vet,or possibly a specialist. Know your options,find out if it is temporary,or long term.

In the meantime at home, don't move any thing.Leave her belongings where they are.Don't be moving her bowls,beds,toys.

Letting her manuver thru the home by walking along the base boards,close to the wall is her way of determining where she is.
Differant floor textures,if yours changes will be a huge help to her. As every thing in your home holds vibration. The room has a differant sound,if its carpeted,or bare floors.

The air tepmerature,even though we don't notice it,is differant.She can distinguish differant pressure changes,and air currants to help her motivate room to room.

The only thing I would be concerned about with her,is possible temperment changes.She was sighted,then bingo..its gone. She may be confused and you may see sublte attiude changes with her until she gets acclimated to the darkness.

I will PM you my phone number. I am here for you in any way possible. Just give her lots of love,reasurance. She still is the same dog,she still is capable of loving you & your family even though she is blind.

Remember,you & your family is all the Evee has ever known,making a rash quick decision to rehome,or even worse euthanasia really should not be even talked about.Tell your hubby, to not be making a decison that involves drastic measures,until you have answers. Evee needs all of you right now.

Our Mia is the most amazing little soul.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...97736328_1064379855_32054510_1538455241_n.jpg
 
Last edited:
oh, am so sorry to hear that. Anesthesia is one of most undiscovered areas in medicine, we use it freely we still don't know why or how it works.
There are many things that could be happening with eyes, and it could be not blindness but change in motor vision/ more muscle affected/
Glad to hear you will take your pup to specialist. Don't get all panicky yet, it often gets reversed.
 
I agree, sudden blindness after so many days would be unusual, the anaesthetic should be well out of her system and I imagine any optical damage should have shown up by now. Definately another vet visit is called for - the vet can check vision and check any eye damage. It could be so many things - she may have picked up conjuctivitis or scratched or rubbed her eye. Don't panic abuot her being permanently blind just yet, I know its hard with all the difficulties you have already faced. My thoughts are with you.
 
I echo what everyone has said, including Michele. Do not make a rash quick decision regarding her. Your daughters, though young, can make a big difference in helping her adapt if in fact this is a permanent condition. Your family is already attached to her. This is a big learning opportunity for your girls as well as you - it will teach them compassion for the less fortunate, even in the animal world. This will carry through to the people world as well. My feeling is that dogs with disabilities are no different the kids with disabilities - they still need love and care. My Emma was diagnosed with a heart murmur within a week of my getting her. Would I ever get rid of her knowing what I may face in the future with her? Not a chance. If one was to go blind or lame, I would deal with it and love them.

Michele has a lot of experience with Mia - she is a good resource for you. Sending prayers your way. Let us know how you make out at the vet's.
 
Dear St. Francis,
We have an emergency. Eevee is having serious problems following her spay. Please look down upon this little Sheltie and ask the Good Shepherd to lay His healing touch upon this good girl. Guide the vets as they seek to understand what is happening and grant them the knowledge to lead her to fully restored health. Give her family patience and faith to know that, whatever the outcome, you and the Good Shepherd are with them through this trial.
In His name we ask,
Amen
 
Thinking of you and Eevee today! I hope the vet can figure out what's going on and she doesn't have any permanent effects.
 
Wow...so sorry, so very sorry! Michele will be a tremendous help and already gave amazing wisdom. Try to relax and calm down and like Michele said, don't make any hasty decisions until you know all the facts!

Praying for you all, hang in there.:sadsmile:
 
This is so scary - hopefully the vet can give you some insight, and you'll know more about where to go from here.

This is a big learning opportunity for your girls as well as you - it will teach them compassion for the less fortunate, even in the animal world. This will carry through to the people world as well.

I absolutely agree. What a fantastic time to show your daughters what compassion and good care look like.

You would be surprised how well blind dogs "get along". They don't dwell on the loss ("I'll never see a sunset again..."), they just adapt and compensate within their new boundaries. Michele can give you wondeful first-hand guidance and tips as to how to help her adjust. I assure you that blind dogs can have excellent quality of life.

Disabled dogs can adapt quite well. Check out this little dog who was born without front legs. I'm sure you'll agree that with the right adaptations (wheels in summer and a ski in winter), this little guy has excellent quality of life.
 
Last edited:
I'm wondering if she has an underlying heart issue and threw a clot. I sure hope this is just a set back. Get well Eevee.
 
Back
Top