Interceptor vs Interceptor Plus

MISheltieGuy

Forums Novice
Hi everyone, picked up our new puppy last week and had our first vet appointment yesterday. The vet recommended Interceptor Plus for heartworm. I asked the breeder their opinion and she said to only give Interceptor and not Interceptor Plus. She said dogs are dying from Interceptor Plus. From what I read, the primary difference between is Interceptor Plus adds praziquantel for tapeworm treatment.

I wanted to know if anyone here is using Interceptor Plus and if they have had any issues?

Thank you in advance.
 
Honestly don't now. I used the the regular Interceptor before it was taken off the market. Now why
our vet does not sell that med anymore I don't have a clue. I did like it.
 
I briefly used it when I accidentally ordered it instead of the regular. 6 month supply with no issues. we are currently using Sentinel.
 
Our vet gave us Interceptor Plus this time too. We were getting just Interceptor before. I did t even realize it until it was time to give it to Shelby. But we haven't had any issues with it.
 
OK, I just ordered the Interceptor Plus because it has the praziquantel.
What I don't find in a brief google-fu session, is many/any autopsy results from these claimed deaths.

The antihelmenthic seems to be pretty safe, with possible side effects when the host has a heavy parasite load which dies off and sheds leading to host immune response.
And its been used since the early 80's with very few if any fatal issues that I've read about.

And, the exact same thing happens when Milbemycin kills of heartworms. Only you're supposed to get a heartworm check if your pet has been off dosing for an extended amount of time. If not, then you have a lot of dead heartworms in and around the heart which most definately can and has caused deaths.
 
Hi everyone, picked up our new puppy last week and had our first vet appointment yesterday. The vet recommended Interceptor Plus for heartworm. I asked the breeder their opinion and she said to only give Interceptor and not Interceptor Plus. She said dogs are dying from Interceptor Plus. From what I read, the primary difference between is Interceptor Plus adds praziquantel for tapeworm treatment.

I wanted to know if anyone here is using Interceptor Plus and if they have had any issues?

Thank you in advance.
For what it's worth - a dog breeder specializes in, well, breeding dogs. And a vet has spent years going to school to study veterinary medicine. So I would go with the vet's recommendation, personally. And just because someone claims that a certain product causes deaths in dogs doesn't make it true.
 
Back
Top