Is he too big?

eah51293

Forums Regular
My sheltie's name is Bear. He's the sweetest, happiest dog. But he's big! However, when we got him, he was the biggest in the litter. He's about 2 and 1/2 yeas old. He weighs about 40 lbs and is 21 inches tall, and 34 inches long. I measured him from floor to shoulder. Also, he doesn't have his silky adult hair yet. When will he get it?
I saw a 2 year old sheltie the other day and Bear is twice it's size! Why is he so big? is this normal? He's not overweight.. just a big dog.
here's a picture:
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g244/_photos_photos/bear.jpg

He is definitely a sheltie. People have asked if he's a collie or a mixed sheltie, but no, he's a full bred sheltie. The breeder that we got him from is one of the top breeders, and he sold him to us as a puppy because he thought he'd be too big to be a show dog.
 
Last edited:
he may be over the sheltie standard, but that is just more of him to love! Shelties are supposed to be 13-16 inches, but some do go oversize, and some are undersize.

as for his fur my male did'nt get his full coat until he was around 3. I think it depends on his lines.
 
Jessica is right. Some shelties go over size and some undersize, you never really know. As for his fur, shelties don't really have 'silky' fur, their coats are more rough, but can be softer depending on what you feed him. By the way, he is a handsome fellow!!!
 
Bear is BEAUTIFUL! My Ember is also oversized. The last time I weighed her, she was 20 lbs and she was only 20 weeks old! But she's healthy, beautiful, and a GREAT dog! That's all that matters! :biggrin2:
 
It's a fluky thing....size that is. Someone mentioned in another post just in the last few days that Shelties are relatively "young" as a registered breed, and therefore, alot of the desirable traits are still being bred in. That makes alot of sense.

As for his coat, it looks to me like he's got his adult coat already! He looks very long and full. Texture varies. I find that Tri's and Merles tend to have a rougher texture than sables. My Indy (a tri) definitely is - and an undercoat like you wouldn't believe - which makes it feel rougher too. Bacca (my sable) still has a teenage coat, but it is silky soft with little undercoat).

I love the feel of both! With Indy, I love to scruff him up when I pet him. With Bacca, I love to glide my hands down his body.:smile2:
 
Shelties are a funny animal size wise. Yes they are a "newer" breed and they were doing collie outcrosses into the 30's still so that is where the larger size comes from. Its something that just happens. Growing out shelties is one of the toughest breeds and most heartbreaking as they have size variables in the lines. Although I do have to say some lines are getting better and better about producing pretty standard sizes...so there is hope for us yet!!
I had two shelties when I was growing up the first one could have passed for a collie (that was in the 70s) and another one when I was a teenager that was close to 18" he was a big boy too. as long as your not showing them its just more to love:winkgrin:
As far as the coat it looks like he has his adult coat in. Shelties do not have silky fur it should be a harsh double coat.
 
Bear is beautiful! I think I have to agree with what everyone else has said. He's a pet so there is just more to love! Very handsome boy!
 
Back
Top