Is it okay to???

It seems like several of you here on this forum feed Merrick's, pretty cool. At this point, we're trying to figure out why she occassionally has dry heaves first thing in the AM, so I have to stay with the same food to be able to rule food issues out. Tonight I am going to feed her usual bed time snack with a 2.5mg of Pepcid to see if that helps her in the AM. Here's praying it works! :yes:

It may be something as simple as one of the ingredients is giving her gas which is causing her to heave when she gets up in the morning. It is very easy for a dog to throw up. Think about changing her food. Just like when you get older and if you eat certain things you know you are going to have to pay for it later in the night in pain and suffering.:lol: And YOU are probably not that old for that to be an issue. But unfortunately I'm there!:biggrin2:

I would either switch the protein source within the same brand, or change the brand but stay with the same protein source. Personally I would switch brands first. You want to be able to see what, if anything is making a difference, so that is why you either want to change brands or protein. I have noted with my Shelties, over the years, that they really don't tolerate beef very well. My second one loved beef, but she would always throw it up. So if you are feeding a red meat kibble, I would actually change that first.

Also, I feed mine the Merrick's canned with her dry. She loves her Wing-a-lings. And yes it is a whole chicken wing. The Smothered Comfort is a whole thigh. I feed the whole bone, cut with a spoon into mini pieces, because the marrow has all kinds of good things for building bones in animals (humans too). Actually for osteoporosis (in humans) one recommendation is to make chicken stock from scratch. Basically making sure to slow cook until you could eat the bones. Or as Granny used to do, get out the pressure cooker.:smile2:
 
Well your welcome. Nothing is worse than having your precious babes not be well. it just tears me apart if mine are not well. Its so hard,as they can't tell you,how they feel or where it hurts.



We lost our beloved Golden Retriever Tyler this past June after a year long battle with prostate cancer :no:..So after a year of worrying about him, watching everything he ate, fussing over all of it, I didn't want to get into ths worrying thing again. I searched near and far for a pure bred hoping to avoid health issues, so this is a bit of a discouragement for me..

But again, you have been very kind and reassuring which is what I need:yes:! I'll let you know how Megan does tomorrow morning!!
 
We lost our beloved Golden Retriever Tyler this past June after a year long battle with prostate cancer :no:..So after a year of worrying about him, watching everything he ate, fussing over all of it, I didn't want to get into ths worrying thing again. I searched near and far for a pure bred hoping to avoid health issues, so this is a bit of a discouragement for me..

But again, you have been very kind and reassuring which is what I need:yes:! I'll let you know how Megan does tomorrow morning!!

I'm sorry to hear about Tyler. I know our lives would not be the same if we lost Earnhardt. He is one we raised from a litter of 7 labs. They all add so much to our lives,but we are really blessed with Earnhardt.He's kind,gentle,devoted.And has been a big brother to many a foster pup.

Although we have not fostered in over a year,since taking in Bumper,from a breeder because she was going to euthanize her because she was born with no eyes. She has enriched our lives in so many dimensions.

Trapp is my first ever pure bred dog.Every day is a differant day with all three. We just kind of roll with the day,and take things as they come. I probably tend to worry more than Brian.
But one thing I am grateful for,is the unsurmountable knowledge that is here on this forum. I joined weeks before even bringing Trapp home,and so glad I did.
 
I'm sorry to hear about Tyler. I know our lives would not be the same if we lost Earnhardt. He is one we raised from a litter of 7 labs. They all add so much to our lives,but we are really blessed with Earnhardt.He's kind,gentle,devoted.And has been a big brother to many a foster pup.

Although we have not fostered in over a year,since taking in Bumper,from a breeder because she was going to euthanize her because she was born with no eyes. She has enriched our lives in so many dimensions.

Trapp is my first ever pure bred dog.Every day is a differant day with all three. We just kind of roll with the day,and take things as they come. I probably tend to worry more than Brian.
But one thing I am grateful for,is the unsurmountable knowledge that is here on this forum. I joined weeks before even bringing Trapp home,and so glad I did.


:no:, bummer, Megan did it again this morning even after giving her the Pepcid last night! She acts and behaves completely normal the rest of the day and night, it's just this early AM deal. I am wondering if something in her crate is bugging her? I make sure every night that nothing is loose or broken, I clean it, put a fresh towel down and everything. YOu would think if this was something serious it would happen more than once a day and she wouldnt eat right, I dont know!?!? I'll be calling the Vet today..

Okay so how was your evening and how is Trapp doing??
 
:no:, bummer, Megan did it again this morning even after giving her the Pepcid last night! She acts and behaves completely normal the rest of the day and night, it's just this early AM deal. I am wondering if something in her crate is bugging her? I make sure every night that nothing is loose or broken, I clean it, put a fresh towel down and everything. YOu would think if this was something serious it would happen more than once a day and she wouldnt eat right, I dont know!?!? I'll be calling the Vet today..

Okay so how was your evening and how is Trapp doing??



I apologize I was so selfish and missed the fact that that you have a blind dog!! You and your husband are obviously amazing people! God Bless you for what you do for all our animals..
 
I apologize I was so selfish and missed the fact that that you have a blind dog!! You and your husband are obviously amazing people! God Bless you for what you do for all our animals..

We've all met Bumper...a blind cat! :biggrin2: There are pictures of the amazing Bumper cat somewhere.
 
Aw poor meagan. I hope the vet can figure out why she throws up in the am. Bailey threw up bile about 3 times since i got her and it was always when i was transitioning her food.

I hope she feels better
 
Aw poor meagan. I hope the vet can figure out why she throws up in the am. Bailey threw up bile about 3 times since i got her and it was always when i was transitioning her food.

I hope she feels better



Thank you...I wish I could say it was a food transitioning issue but I have kept her on the same thing for weeks now! She behaves totally happy, healthy and normal after the dry heaves, that is why this is so confusing! I am praying the Vet and myself can figure out wuz up?? :winkgrin:
 
Well Jeepers!

After I read your post,I decided to google it,and this is what I found.

1-It could be an imbalance of bacteria in the intestines,just past the stomach
2-liver & kidneys enzymes should be checked,especially os if the dog has been on any type of NSAID
3-Most of what I read,the diagnosis was Inflamatory bowel syndrome,or some other type of gastric issue
4- parasites(but that has already been checked)
5- food allergy
6-dog is hungry
Remedies mostly included,some type of pepcid,or medicaction for irritable bowel,late night snacks. Change of diet temporarily to chicken,rice,lamb

There are gadzillions bits of info on the internet about the issue,but your vet should be the best source of information. One thing that does repeat itself in any thing I have read,is that it is treatable,and usually passes as the pup grows.

It just sounds to me that she is having a gastric problem,I would call your vet again,and arrange another visit,to discuss some things with him.
Here is a link that has lots of postings:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pets/msg1211360618745.html

Trapp is doing wonderful,at the moment he is napping in his crate,with his teddie! He seems to have really changed more so in the last couple of weeks. Every thing is differant about him.My baby is growing up~
 
Thank you...I wish I could say it was a food transitioning issue but I have kept her on the same thing for weeks now! She behaves totally happy, healthy and normal after the dry heaves, that is why this is so confusing! I am praying the Vet and myself can figure out wuz up?? :winkgrin:

Ok this is a reach and usually occurs in older dogs. But sometimes dogs with full anal glands can have vomiting or dry heaves. It produces a backed up or constipated feeling and they get nauseous. The colon is full in the AM and the pressure is greater.
 
Back
Top