Is rawhide fattening?

Caro

Moderator
Does anyone know if the calories in rawide are metabolised and how i could find out roughly how much is metabolised. I was under the impression that rawhide was made from undigestable material so not many calories were metabolised (esp the low fat kind). Deska has not been losing an adequate amount of weight, even though he has been on a strict diet and I am wondering if the huge venison ear rawhide he gets most nights might be the culprit.
 
Last edited:
I googled it and got mixed results. Some say it's a low fat treat, and one rottie forum declares it made somebody's rottie pack on the pounds.

:confused2:
 
I get my rawhide right from the pork shoulders. I take the skin off, roll it up and freeze it for later treats. Like Dr. Shelli said, it's nothing but skin and fat, and totally digestible.
 
I have always heard that rawhide is not good for them as it gets stuck. So, Is it okay or not okay and of course always buy USA made rawhide. I need something for Zak to chew on since he wants to chew up stuffed toys.
 
So do you think we are talking chicken skin and pork crackling kind of fattening? If a venison ear carries the same amount of calories as the same amount of chicken skin then thats a huge amount! The packet says 96% fat free so an ear should contain less than 2gm of fat. On the other hand it would explain a lot if it was high in calories.

When are manufacturers going to be required to include nutritional info like calories on all dog foods, including treats.
 
I have always heard that rawhide is not good for them as it gets stuck. So, Is it okay or not okay and of course always buy USA made rawhide. I need something for Zak to chew on since he wants to chew up stuffed toys.

You will hear a lot of differing opinions on this. I do give my dogs rawhide. However, I only give it to them when I can supervise them. And I take it away when the piece gets too small (don't want them choking). I think the rawhide is difficult to digest if the dog eats a lot at a time. My dogs don't eat enough of it in one sitting.

However, I do prefer to give them Flossies (made by Merricks). It is much better for them (it's beef tendon), but admittedly, they are much more expensive ($7 for one) and they go through them faster. So they get their flossies about once a day for 15 minutes as a special treat.
 
I found that different Shelties act differently to rawhide. Hamish loved it. Noah couldn't care less - he preferred the raw fruit and veggies. I have tried Emma yet. She's too picky about her food and treats. Last night I had to pretend to eat her treat before she would and then pretend to eat her food. Don't think she'd eat the rawhide. I've heard too about the fattening and that you have to watch that they don't choke on it. I used to give Hamish flat rawhids disks that wer about three inches across.
 
I think pressed rawhide is more likely to cause a problem, especially if they don't chew it well. I usually feed fresh/frozen rawhide, with all the fat still attached. It's soft and gooey, so I don't worry about it not getting digested. I do have some pressed/rolled rawhides that are ancient, they mostly just carry them around. They hold out for the good stuff.
 
Bailey loves rawhides. She's been working on a large one for months. She doesn't gobble it down. She chews it a couple times a day for a few minutes
 
Back
Top