It's Official- shelties have instinct

Calliesmom

Moderator
so I've been trying to find someplace to get instinct testing done on the Pumpkin Pups. finally found a place/club that did Friday instinct tests - morning and afternoon so theoretically, that would be the instinct certificate in one day. The rest of the trial - actual herding trial is Sat/Sun.

Both judges were great but the afternoon judge really worked with the dogs to get their best efforts. Cran is not consistent as he tends to lose his mind when he sees sheep so the morning verdict was NQ- no recall and more chasing than herding. He did Q in the afternoon as that judge did give him more guidance.
Dixie, of course, calls off more easily and isn't as intensely obsessed so she did more of what the morning judge was looking for. She wasn't as gung-ho in the afternoon and she had to be coaxed to show off her instinct but she did good and got both Q's.

so while I was expecting both to pass- once again, Cran has to be special and go alone if I can find another trial- just like his rally adventures:rolleyes2:.

There is video and I will post it later when I download it from the camera:winkgrin:
 
That's cause Cran wants to chase sheep and play flyball

Signed
Sca

PS Me and my sidekick are jealous that you guys got to play with 4 legged sheep
 
this is very interesting to me. We did is soo very differently. I don't think Instint testing was about recall at all. It was about interest in sheep, and natural abilities to know things. I am told Che is quite good and could go places if we proceed but recall? I 'll be happy if he remembers my presence:lol:
 
this is very interesting to me. We did is soo very differently. I don't think Instint testing was about recall at all. It was about interest in sheep, and natural abilities to know things. I am told Che is quite good and could go places if we proceed but recall? I 'll be happy if he remembers my presence:lol:

yeah- I thought that too. I was very surprised when Cran did not qualify.
still working on uploading the videos:o
 
to me dog should be as crazy to go after sheep as they would after squirrels and whatever recall they have should almost fly out of their mind when they see sheep...
 
I thought the same thing, but just figured I didn't know how the process worked.

I just read the thread and thought "well, better not get Bentley tested...no way he would listen to me with things to be herded around!"
 
to me dog should be as crazy to go after sheep as they would after squirrels and whatever recall they have should almost fly out of their mind when they see sheep...

that is pretty much Cranberry- I have joked that he loses his mind when he sees sheep:winkgrin:
 
Back
Top