Jody can hardly walk (bad flesh wounds on pads)

For now, you might want to take Jody out separately so he isn't tempted to run. Give those paws time to heal.

The vet wrap suggestion is excellent. Vet wrap sticks to itself so it's easier to use and keep on. You can use the wrap for people that you can get at a drugstore if you can't get to a pet place that sells vet wrap. They're the same thing. That should help keep him more comfortable.

Pats to Jody!
 
Tabitha, I'm sorry to hear of Jody's injuries, when our little furbabys are in pain, I think we hurt as bad as they do. It sounds like you are doing everything you possibly can to keep Jody as comfortable as possible. I'll keep Jody in my prayers that this doesn't get any worse and he will be back on all 4 paws in no time. :fl :hugs
 
Oh my that has to be painful. Never had this problem, but when the pads get a little dry I use Balm too. I buy it at Walgreens, its in a tin can. Actually its used for utters.

All great posts and I like Ann's wrap info.

Hopefully Jody returns to par real soon for you.
 
I've had a sheltie tear up his pads playing fetch on asphalt. I may have given him doggie asprin for the pain, but it's been so long ago I don't remember. I do know he healed without incident.

I had to tell my BIL (the one playing with him when it happened) that "you've got to have more sense than the dog. Go easy."
 
Jody's almost 100% today! He's hardly limping at all, in fact, you can hardly tell he was injured at all. Only I can tell because I'm mom and I know his every step better than anyone. Yesterday I washed his paws and put Neosporin on them every 3-4 hours. By the end of the day he could take short walks outside and if he looked at me them the house, I knew it was time to go back to bed. Today, he's back to his spunky care free self and I can press on and handle his paws as much as I want with out him even flinching. They'er totally black now and just have little divots in the spots where the pad was torn. But I'm still making him take it easy until they'er completely healed.
 
Tab, that is great news that Jody is moving well and feeling 100%!! But you are smart to be keeping his activity level moderated until those paw pads are totally healed.

Trini
 
I was a bad doggie mom once and we went backpacking without wearing his booties.....the trail was pretty rocky and his pads got all torn up. no blood, but they were pretty raw. we took a day off while other people did a day hike. Luckily I had the Ruffwear booties with me and he wore them on the return trip. And now we always wear booties when the trail is anything other than dirt. :D

So we are lucky they heal so quickly! Live and learn :D I know i did!
 
I feel pretty darn stupid as I was not aware that the asphalt would hurt them so badly. We have an asphalt road I do walk in with Chauncey when we go to the mailbox but luckily in this case he is to lazy to run. I take him to the dog park and those rare cases when he isn't sitting under the picnic tables in the shade and actually runs it is grass there. I will have to be aware that asphalt can harm their paws.
 
Back
Top