Kyara is getting her eyes checked out today.

Quick update. When we went back to our vet for the checkup, the left eye looked better but the right eye looked worse with what could be the start of small ulcers.

We got a different type of ointment for that eye and were recommended to see the only ophthalmologist in Ottawa. My appointment is this afternoon.

I'm glad we are seeing him though not financially happy :dead::lol:. I'm hoping we get better treatment options as I am not too keen on putting one kind of ointment in one eye and a different type of drop in the other. It doesn't make any sense to me.

However, I hate putting Kyara through this, meeting a new doctor, going to a new clinic and all that. We are seriously testing her anxiety towards strangers :no:.

Please send good thoughts that we get good news and a treatment plan that doesn't involve too many visits back to the very expensive specialist.
 
Thanks for current update.

Continuous prayers being sent up for Kyara and the the situation you are going through.

Please continue to update us. Thanks.

ps And if you would, give Kyara a hug from me.
 
Thank you so much everyone for the thoughts and prayers :hugs.

The vet and his technician were both amazing. They were gentle and very good with Kyara, I didn't even need to hold her head when they were doing their various tests.

Now there is a couple of things going on with her eyes.

1. The least problematic is she's got a couple of extra eyelashes in on the inside part of the eyelid in one eye (distichiasis - I believe Corbinam's Lexi has that). The dr did not suggest treatment for that right now.

2. Corneal infiltrate in both eyes - this is the white clouds I see in her eyes. Although they look more spread out in the left eye, the little spot on her right eye is more dense.

3. Corneal ulcer in both eyes

4. Punctate Keratitis in both eyes - this is like little dots of erosion on her cornea (if I understand it correctly) which may be caused by the eyes not staying hydrated enough.

We have a treatment plan for the next month and we'll go back on November 11th to see how she is responding to treatment.

She will be given two drops a day of an antibiotic ointment, two drops a day of an immuno-suppressant ointment (Ashley this is similar to what you told me your friend's dog was given for her corneal dystrophy) and she has some doggy visine (i-drops) that I need to put a least 3 times a day and preferably more to keep her eyes moist.

I'm hoping this brings us good results and news in November. Thanks for the good thought everyone!

P.s: Kyara got big hugs and lots of treats. She'll be getting lots more with all this putting creams in her eyes. She seems to actually like the i-drops, she turned her head and opened her eyes for me without me holding her eyelid to put the drops. :smile2:
 
Glad you found a great vet and Kyara is getting the proper treatment. Kyara is being a such a trooper! Lots of cookies for her.
 
So glad to hear that the vet was gentle and sounds like super-helpful as well.

Yes, Lexi has distichia as well. We're really lucky in that they only crop up a few times a year. I just look at her eyes every once in a while. We're also really lucky because she sits still while we pluck them (:eek2:) so thus far we haven't had to consider freezing/surgery/anything more drastic (knock on wood).

I'm not sure if you are close with your breeder, but this is genetic and is something that breeders usually want to know about.

Curious, do they think any of the things they found affect her vision? I'm not really familiar with any of them.

I know it's expensive, but if you can afford it, going to a specialist really helps. It is so nice to finally KNOW exactly what it is, and they seem better equipped to deal with the dogs, the issues, and the owners :) Please keep us posted on how she's responding.
 
Thanks everyone!

I didn't really ask questions about her vision as from what I got from the specialist, we'll know more about how this will affect her long term wise when we go back for our follow up in a month.

I believe that the corneal infiltrates blurs her vision a little. Otherwise I am not sure, I will certainly ask plenty of questions regarding this at our next visit.

I'm really glad we went to the specialist. Kyara's already squinting less and we can already see an improvement in her eyes. I think the thing that is helping so quickly are the i-drops keeping her little eyes moist.

I'm hopeful we will see more and more improvement. I'll keep you posted on how it looks in the weeks to come.
 
Back
Top