Lanced canine tooth

Lizwiz

Forums Novice
I bought my sheltie from an AKC breeder but my 9 month old has a
"fang" tooth pointing sideways. Apparently, this is more common in shelties and collies. I took my dog to a doggie dentist and he suggested extraction. Wondering if anyone else has been in this situation. Thanks for your help!
 
For the lance canine, I'd let the breeder know, because that's the kind of thing they will want to track.
As for extraction, I don't know what is protocol in this situation, but if you are concerned you could always seek a second opinion.
 
Thank you! The vet had also said that we could try orthodontics(true story) on him but he felt extraction was the best for dog. Extraction of the tooth is $1200...yikes!
 
$1200? Whoa Nelly! :eek2:

I'd be tempted to tie a string from the tooth to a doorknob. That's an incredible price imho.
 
Ok, I'm going to say it, and I'm going to get in trouble, and once again I am ignoring my signature. but…. really, I do NOT get the price of veterinary dentals.
Yes, my practice tends to charge a little less than my local colleagues. Partly this is because I am old school and believe that a single mom working two jobs to raise her kids should be able to have a cat for them. But, frankly, it is easier to sound noble when you have no school loans and the mortgage is long since paid off.
So, if, say, the place down the street quotes $800 for something and I will do it for $650 that's fine. I have less overhead and if we all charged the same we would be price fixing like the … well, like almost every other vendor of services these days.
But when I see a 6 year old Bichon with a fair amount of tartar, needs a scrape and polishing,no extractions, and I might quote $225- $250 after the initial visit and blood panel, and they pull out some quote for $900, or $1200, or $1600, (yes, I have actually seen these), what am I supposed to say?
How can you charge 2-3X what you charge for a full ovariohysterectomy (spay), (and although we do a lot of them, this is still a pretty big surgery), to clean teeth? Honestly. I do not get it.
It's embarrassing for me, I have no desire to come off as the questionably 'cheap' animal hospital, but, frankly, (and I have owned and run hospitals for a long time, with pretty fair success,), this particular subset of prices makes no sense to me.
Just the opinion of one curmudgeonly old veterinarian, take it for what it's worth.
 
shop around

I would go EVERYWHERE and see if that can't be beat...too pricey imho.

My 2nd sheltie liked to teethe on rocks...she broke off her front canine tooth when she was a few mths old-just the tip, nothing exposed, gum was fine. The Vet I was seeing, wanted to do surgery/extraction with a hefty price tag, and gave me a horror story of what to expect down the road. To me it seemed ridiculous as she would lose the tooth soon, and I saw NO reason to put her through surgery. Shopped around and found a Vet I was more comfortable with. But it was interesting how many DIFFERING opinions I got, as well as prices. I will say most of the surgery/high priced ones ALL gave doom and gloom scenarios, she was in for years of dental complications, etc. She lost the tooth normally, the new canine came in and she lived w/o ANY dental complications for 16 more yrs. My point is be an educated consumer.
 
Thank you! The vet had also said that we could try orthodontics(true story) on him but he felt extraction was the best for dog. Extraction of the tooth is $1200...yikes!

I am appalled by the quote you were given. When we adopted our Mickey from the local shelter his mouth was a disaster. A week later when our vet did his dental Mickey had to have 18 rotten teeth extracted. The bill for that extensive dental surgery was just over $1,400. I can't imagine how your vet can charge $1,200 to extract just one tooth! I definitely would be looking for a second opinion.

Trini
 
I am in the same boat. My 5 yr old has a crooked canine and the vet wants to pull it as it has a lot of build up and the gums are red. His other teeth have a lot of build up as well. My first Sheltie, we never brushed her teeth and they were in perfect shape for 12 yrs. This guy, his teeth have a lot of build up and although I do try to brush 2-3 times a week its proving to be not enough. The vet estimate was $900. to remove & clean along with the blood profile. Second option was even more $ but said the canine didn't need to be removed but one in the back on the side need to be removed & told me bad teeth was common with Shelties. I saw a spray online called TruDogs Innovative "Spray Me" that you spray in the dogs mouth. I am concerned if this stuff works and if the ingredients are safe for my boy?? Grape Seed Extract, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Peppermint Oil, Rosemary Oil, Thyme Oil & Neem Oil. Anyone heard of this stuff or had experiences with it? I am not sure which Vet I should believe either... Remove the tooth or not? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
 
I am in the same boat. My 5 yr old has a crooked canine and the vet wants to pull it as it has a lot of build up and the gums are red. His other teeth have a lot of build up as well. My first Sheltie, we never brushed her teeth and they were in perfect shape for 12 yrs. This guy, his teeth have a lot of build up and although I do try to brush 2-3 times a week its proving to be not enough. The vet estimate was $900. to remove & clean along with the blood profile. Second option was even more $ but said the canine didn't need to be removed but one in the back on the side need to be removed & told me bad teeth was common with Shelties. I saw a spray online called TruDogs Innovative "Spray Me" that you spray in the dogs mouth. I am concerned if this stuff works and if the ingredients are safe for my boy?? Grape Seed Extract, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Peppermint Oil, Rosemary Oil, Thyme Oil & Neem Oil. Anyone heard of this stuff or had experiences with it? I am not sure which Vet I should believe either... Remove the tooth or not? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I used an enzyme gel in later years-can't remember the name, as it was for the sheltie I posted on this thread. She wasn't much of a chewer and I would smear it on her back teeth as needed, but not that regularly with a finger toothbrush. One tube lasted her lifetime and I pitched it. It didn't require much...she never had her teeth cleaned, and she had nice teeth except for the one breaking as a puppy.
 
Back
Top