Ann
Moderator
Try replacing one whole meal with a mix of vegies.
I give Tully pumpkin (or sometimes sweet potato) with other vegies mixed in for one of her meals, then she gets her normal food for her other meal (the meal she takes her pills with). She loves pumpkin so is quite happy to have a vegie meal. I also sometimes mix in some meat broth with her vegies - dogs have a great sense of smell but they do not have a good a sense of taste as we do, so the smell of meat is often enough. I cook up a week or two's worth and freeze it.
This is a terrific idea, Caro, thanks! I have to shave a pound or two off of Pixie who has just been diagnosed with severe arthritis (at age 8!) in both front elbows. I haven't been able to get that last pound off her and now we can't exercise her. She only gets 1/4 cup twice daily but I'm going to try the veggie meal once a day for a week and see what happens.