leaving puppy alone for a long period of time

What about picking up a small litter box and some wood chips to put in the big crate. Possibly the smell of the outdoors will encourage him to go in there, and the fact that it is in a specific medium would help counteract the setback in training?
 
I agree with Ann. Leaving him in the small crate will not stop him from "going" if he really has to. It just means you will be washing the crate AND the puppy. I'd put in an old folded towel, and hope for the best.
 
I agree with Ann. Leaving him in the small crate will not stop him from "going" if he really has to. It just means you will be washing the crate AND the puppy. I'd put in an old folded towel, and hope for the best.
yep.. that's what is going to happen.. though i suspect I'll have to wash the crate, towels and him, but he did hold it last night for 8 hours... so I guess it all depends on his body :confused2:
 
Have you consider leaving him with your vet for the day?

When Logan was 4 months old I needed to attend a funeral 3 hours away and my dog walker was sick with the flu (I was gone for about 10 hours total). I asked my vet if I could board him at the clinic for the day. He was crated part of the time but he got walked, played with, and one of the techs even taught him a trick ... I'm not sure he actually wanted to come home :lol:

I hope it all works out for you!
 
What about picking up a small litter box and some wood chips to put in the big crate. Possibly the smell of the outdoors will encourage him to go in there, and the fact that it is in a specific medium would help counteract the setback in training?

I wouldn't put woodchips in the crate b/c he might eat them, same with the litter. Have you reconsidered taking him with you ? We travel with Sally most everywhere we go. I'm sure you will come up with a good plan.
 
Have you consider leaving him with your vet for the day?

When Logan was 4 months old I needed to attend a funeral 3 hours away and my dog walker was sick with the flu (I was gone for about 10 hours total). I asked my vet if I could board him at the clinic for the day. He was crated part of the time but he got walked, played with, and one of the techs even taught him a trick ... I'm not sure he actually wanted to come home :lol:

I hope it all works out for you!


A house sitter or kennel is the best suggestion by far. Do you have a family friend who can come by to let him out?

My concern is that you stand to destroy what housetraining you've managed, and of course, I don't like the idea of a dog being crated for that long to begin with, if it can be avoided.
 
With all the puppies we have grown out over the years, this comes up. Either a funeral, Westminster, (maybe shopping and lunch with the girls) or some reason that the puppy is going to be crated longer then our daily routine of when I am home and at their beck and call.

We just don't make a fuss over it. I try very hard to put them in a place or crate that will allow extra space. And then we deal. It has never impacted their overall crate training, or housebreaking.

Right now I am wringing my hands over two days that I will be away, and have to have my husband care for two 12 week olds. He leaves at 5:30am, and doesn't get back until around 5pm. In this case, they will stay in an xpen, and he will have to clean up the papers.

But then the next day, they will be right back on track, and all will be okay.

Sometimes we are thrown a curve ball.
 
Have you consider leaving him with your vet for the day?

When Logan was 4 months old I needed to attend a funeral 3 hours away and my dog walker was sick with the flu (I was gone for about 10 hours total). I asked my vet if I could board him at the clinic for the day. He was crated part of the time but he got walked, played with, and one of the techs even taught him a trick ... I'm not sure he actually wanted to come home :lol:

I hope it all works out for you!
I thought of this, but to be honest, I don't know my vet well enough to trust them with my baby.
 
A house sitter or kennel is the best suggestion by far. Do you have a family friend who can come by to let him out?

My concern is that you stand to destroy what housetraining you've managed, and of course, I don't like the idea of a dog being crated for that long to begin with, if it can be avoided.
I do not have any friends nor family down here as we moved from PA to NC so that is not an option sadly.
 
With all the puppies we have grown out over the years, this comes up. Either a funeral, Westminster, (maybe shopping and lunch with the girls) or some reason that the puppy is going to be crated longer then our daily routine of when I am home and at their beck and call.

We just don't make a fuss over it. I try very hard to put them in a place or crate that will allow extra space. And then we deal. It has never impacted their overall crate training, or housebreaking.

Right now I am wringing my hands over two days that I will be away, and have to have my husband care for two 12 week olds. He leaves at 5:30am, and doesn't get back until around 5pm. In this case, they will stay in an xpen, and he will have to clean up the papers.

But then the next day, they will be right back on track, and all will be okay.

Sometimes we are thrown a curve ball.
Thanks, this makes me feel a little better about it :(
 
Back
Top