Lepto shot

I personally do not give lepto. It has nothing to do with MDR1.

The vaccine is against 4 of around 200(I think 20 are important in dogs) serovars of lepto. Immunity is short lived around 9-10 months and it starts to wane so you need to rebooster yearly. We do see a lot of vaccine reactions to this disease and in some lines there maybe genetics predisposition. 2 of my dogs(Justice and Ember) have known genetic predisposition(known family members with reactions) to vaccine reactions. Ember has had a vaccine reaction herself to Lyme vx. So risk to benefit does not support giving it. .

That being said it is a zoonosis and can potentially be fatal if the pet is affected. You really need to look at your lifestyle and the dogs living conditions, a city dog has a low risk compared to rural country or lake country. I would also touch based with the breeder and discuss why she recommends against it. Possibly ask the vet if the serovars in the vaccine are those seen in your areas. We had a study done in my area years ago and interesting the top 3 serovars coming up on titers(meaning exposure) were not ones that can be vaccine for. This is another reason I elected not to vaccinated for it.

Interestingly I was just at a Dr. Dodds seminar today and she was talking about non-core vaccines and she listed Lepto yes? and suggested the same reasons I stated. Which surprised me because I was assuming it would be a generic no. Dr. Schultz talks tomorrow and I will let you know if he says anything about Lepto.
 
My two don't receive the lepto shot. The vet did give my two setters one,
because they were hunting dogs and of course in the woods. After retiring from
hunting that shot stopped.
 
Sally did get the Lepto vx last month...we live in a rural area and we actually have a case of Lepto at our vet. hospital right now, so I felt it was worth the risk of vaccine reaction which Sally has never had. Just one of those choices that are so tuff to make.
 
I do give lepto, because my dog will spend a lot of time at my mother's house, which is a huge rural property with hiking trails and woods, with wildlife. She did have a dog have a reaction, but managed it with benedryl per drs orders.
 
My older dog was allergic, so Koji never got it because he's the same line. However, after moving to OR, discussing where we trial (agility) and where I'd like to eventually live, we decided since I was home with him, that we'd test it out. If I never left the city, I wouldn't have given him the shot....ever. But due to my circumstances, I needed to know if he'd have a reaction. It's the only reason I did it.

If you have no reason to get it, then don't get it. Why put your dog at risk of a reaction?
 
I don't do Lepto vaccines for my dogs.

We live in a suburban area with very little wildlife (except for the bunnies who live under my shed and drive my Shelties nuts!).

I personally think we over vaccinate our pets, which can lead to more health issues.

I was in a vet's office recently, in a very affluent suburban neighborhood, and they had a sign stating that all dogs MUST be vaccinated against Lepto.

As previously stated, the decision should be based on the risk of your dogs contracting it from wildlife. If I lived in the country, I might feel differently, but I am not subjecting my dogs to one more vaccine.
 
I live in the country and chose not to do it - my vet did not even try to persuade me otherwise. Hanna does not like to go in the water, so I think her risk is actually fairly small, add to the fact that the vaccine is only protective for a few strains and does not last long, it did not feel worth it to me.
 
reading on old posts about lepto shots and shelties' reactions to them, I am scared of giving my dog another lepto shot.

Where I live, there are many raccoons, coyotes, and even bears appearing in the streets. Also the 'toilet' for my puppy is a small park right beside my townhouse complex. It is a grass area with lots of puddles and these puddles are there most of the time since Vancouver is a rainy area during winter/spring time. These puddles also lure many flying insects like flies and mosquitoes.
I was certain that I would give my puppy a lepto shot so I did when he was 10 weeks old. It was a separate shot in addition to the second shot.
At that time, he had no reaction whatsoever, not even tired, just playful as always.

After reading some of the posts on this forum, I am very scared of giving him another lepto shot when the time comes for the third shot.

What should I do? Should I give him another (and final) booster shot of lepto or just one shot would do the trick? He was "ok" after the first shot.
 
Back
Top