Looking for a good safe chew treat for a pup who likes to swallow everything whole!

mikebdub

Forums Enthusiast
Cali has been doing well with the Earzles and Snozles from Merrick but I can only let them get down to a certain point before I have to take them because I am afraid she will try to swallow it once it fits in her mouth. The first few she had lasted quite a while, but she has figured out how to destroy them much faster now lol. What could I try with her that will last a long time? She loves to chew and pull stuff apart so I was thinking of a raw bone or something like that. Something that she will be able to chew on in the house on the carpet without making a mess. I see tons of stuff in PetSmart, PetCo, etc. but I am just not sure what will last, and be safe for her. Anything I could pick up at a grocery store or a pet supply shop? Maybe a butcher?

Main things I am looking for.. Safe, long lasting, not messy to eat in the house on carpet (she hides everything I let her take outside lol) and good for cleaning teeth. Thanks for any ideas / info! :biggrin2:
 
I bought deer antlers 3 weeks to a month ago (I think) and they are still lying around and about 1/3 chewed off only. The dogs chew on them for about 10 mins every night. There's no smell unlike bully sticks and it doesn't get gross like a raw knuckle bone or a raw hide would!
 
Yes, the deer antler we have has lasted for-ever!

My only complaint about them is that Lexi doesn't love it. She will chew it for a bit, if there's nothing else, but I think they're almost too hard for her to really enjoy the taste of them.
 
We do the blue silicon bone -- Beckon just loves it, and it really lasts!

What's the blue silicon bone, Chris? I've never heard of it, and could really use something like this for Checkers too. She chews like Cali does.
 
Nylabones are about the only thing I can let the boys have without total destruction.
 

Attachments

  • 27576.jpg
    27576.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 18
Well I gave her the first bully stick she ever got today and so far it is holding up very well.. Only downsides is that they are really expensive in the pet stores, and they smell horrible once they get chewed on! I am also wondering about the blue silicon bone!
 
Bully sticks work well but they are expensive. Amazon occasionally has some pretty good deals on them though.

The real downsides are the stink in my opinion. They give your dog some NASTY smelling breath, and the sticks themselves make you almost want to hurl.

Other than that I haven't found too many chews that last long and are what I'd consider "safe". I tried the Nylabone Healthy Edible bones with my pup, but they lasted 15 min and then he had some seriously bad diarreha for 3 days.

My pup doesn't really get into rawhide, flavored or unflavored it's mostly ignored. I haven't tried deer antlers though, mainly because I can't find them locally.
 
her breath doesn't end up bad at all after chewing them.. The sticks do smell horrible though! I like to give them after she eats her kibble to clean the teeth because like I said earlier she mostly uses her back teeth to chew them. Only real problem I have found is that no matter how many times I vacuum during the day, as soon as the slobbered end hits the floor it ends up covered in fur from her rolling it around!
 
Back
Top