Looking for Traveling Tips

Jess041

Forums Enthusiast
So let me preface this post by saying that I have never stayed in a hotel\motel overnight alone. I am usually with friends or family. I have had a dog in a motel a long time ago for a frisbee competition, but it was with my family.

This weekend Missy and I are going to a Flyball tournament that is 2 1/2 hours away from where we live. We will be staying at a motel for 2 nights, and I wasn't comfortable enough to ask anyone to split a room with me, so we'll be by ourselves. I'm not terribly concerned about being alone because I know the entire motel will be occupied by other flyball competitors and if I had a problem any of them would be happy to assist.

My main concerns are regarding having a dog in my room with me. Like, are there some etiquette things I should know about besides the obvious- clean up after your dog, don't let them go in areas other than your room, try to keep them from barking all night? For example, at home Missy sleeps in my room wherever she wants. Crate, floor, her bed, my bed- she doesn't have a designated spot. But when we go to my parents' house, she usually sleeps in the bed with me all night probably because it's not "home". So would it be wrong to let her sleep wherever she wants in the motel room, even if it ends up being on top of the bed with me? I have a crate that I will be keeping at the venue for the competition, and I don't want to pack it up and bring it back to the motel with me both nights and then take it back in the mornings. I have a second crate at home that I could bring to keep in the room, it's just a little inconvenient. She won't be left in the room by herself except for maybe a few minutes here and there.

What do you guys think? And do you have any tips for staying in a motel with a dog?
 
I've never stayed in a motel with my dog, so I'm sure others will have better advice, but here's what comes to my mind:

-Before letting Missy off leash in the room, check the under the bed, under the furniture, the garbage, the bathroom, etc. and make sure there is no food, items left behind or anything else she might attempt to eat.
-Unless the motel has rules about dogs loose in the room, I don't see no reason why your dog can't sleep on the bed with you.
-Buy a soft foldable crate for the room. They're small and easy to transport. I would put Missy in the crate even if you are leaving for a few minutes. And it's good to have just in case you decide to go out to eat or have to run to the store real quick. You don't want to leave her loose in the room in case a cleaning worker comes in. Also, she might get a little anxious being left alone in a strange place. The crate would bring her some comfort. I have one like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Pe...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3cd5625988
-If you use tap water at home, bring some with you or bring bottled water. Water is different in different counties and cities and can upset her stomach.
-Locate a vet in the area, so if something does happen, you're not scrambling to find one.
-Lastly, jump on the bed! Have fun and good luck!
 
Last edited:
-Buy a soft foldable crate for the room. They're small and easy to transport. I would put Missy in the crate even if you are leaving for a few minutes. And it's good to have just in case you decide to go out to eat or have to run to the store real quick. You don't want to leave her loose in the room in case a cleaning worker comes in. Also, she might get a little anxious being left alone in a strange place. The crate would bring her some comfort. I have one like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Pe...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3cd5625988

I thought about getting a soft-sided crate, but haven't made the financial commitment because I'm worried she will tear it up. She does have the habit of pawing at the door when she wants out. Being in a strange place I would kinda expect her to get upset about being left in a crate. I cant look at that link right now on my work computer, but I was looking for one with the least amount of mesh material, as in, I don't want one like this- http://amzn.com/B000P9ZFCY because I could see her tearing through that side that is mostly mesh... :rolleyes2:
 
I thought about getting a soft-sided crate, but haven't made the financial commitment because I'm worried she will tear it up. She does have the habit of pawing at the door when she wants out. Being in a strange place I would kinda expect her to get upset about being left in a crate. I cant look at that link right now on my work computer, but I was looking for one with the least amount of mesh material, as in, I don't want one like this- http://amzn.com/B000P9ZFCY because I could see her tearing through that side that is mostly mesh... :rolleyes2:

This one doesn't have a lot of mesh http://www.amazon.com/Petnation-614...or/dp/B0018MM8RC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_1

Now I'm thinking about buying this one! I like that it only has one door. The one I have has a zipper on the front, size and top. Sometimes I worry that I left a zipper open.
 
I do what you said though Take4Roll10's suggestion of doing a sweep of the room is great thinking. The first night will be the biggest challenge as she will be in new and ready. Night two it will not be as new and she will be tired from flyball so a lot less of an issue.

Be sure you have some poo bags with you and I usually walk the guys before a shower to lesson the chance of accidents. Then shower, then feed and rewalk at the tournament before things kick off.

Not sure where you are staying but LaQuinta is very dog friendly if there is one close.

Go Missy!
 
When I traveled with Gavin, I brought a sheet to cover the bedspread with. They don't clean them and I figure that way the next guest doesn't get any dog hair surprises! Depending on the type of hotel and when you arrive, you can just ask for one when you check in.

he usually ended up in a corner anyway, but I felt like a good guest!
 
I do what you said though Take4Roll10's suggestion of doing a sweep of the room is great thinking. The first night will be the biggest challenge as she will be in new and ready. Night two it will not be as new and she will be tired from flyball so a lot less of an issue.

Be sure you have some poo bags with you and I usually walk the guys before a shower to lesson the chance of accidents. Then shower, then feed and rewalk at the tournament before things kick off.

Not sure where you are staying but LaQuinta is very dog friendly if there is one close.

Go Missy!

Yes, we're staying at the LaQuinta :wink2:. Nobody better come stalk me..
I like the sweep suggestion too. You never know what somebody left behind... and your morning routine sounds like mine anyway. I live in an apartment but I'm lazy, so I usually walk her right when I get up.. in my pajamas. Whatever... lol.
 
Back
Top