Mama Sheltie(mix?) & pups at my local A.C. - NC

Animalia

Forums Regular
Hello all,

I do rescue work in Ashe County, NC -- and I got a call that there is a Mama Sheltie (small, may be a mix) and her puppies at our local Animal Control. I will be going there to take pictures and will post those tomorrow. If anyone is looking for a Sheltie (again may be a mix) this is a great opportunity to get one. Also, if anyone has contacts in the Sheltie rescue world, they can contact me or A.C. directly. Our A.C. (fortunately) is VERY rescue friendly. They haven't had to euthanize any dogs since before Christmas, but they're starting to get full. Plus, the shelter environment is horrible for puppies -- they have a tendency to get Parvo really easy, because most of the dogs they get in have never seen a vet, which means disease is not unheard of. I compare kill animal shelters like hospitals -- you're more likely to get sick just because of the environment. Apparently the dogs have been there since yesterday. Oh, and they had a pure-bred Cairn Terrier mom and her pups turned in too. I've already contacted the national rescue organization about them, since it was pretty definite that they were, in fact, pure bred.
 
Kelly,

I volunteer and foster for the Ashe County Humane Society (Jefferson, NC - near Boone, NC). They can vouch for me. I'm going in about a 1/2 hr to take pics of the dogs. From what the AC officer told me over the phone, Mom is around a year old, small and timid (Sheltie in a shelter is GOING to be timid). The pups are Beagle/Sheltie mixes. From what they understand, the owner had both the Sheltie and Cairn Terrier. He was staying with people who had a male Beagle. Of course they couldn't have any of them fixed (even though our Humane Society offers low cost spaying and neutering). So both dogs got pregnant. Now he's in jail, and the people he was staying with couldn't or wouldn't care for the dogs. I've found a rescue that's going to take the Cairn mom (not pups). I've contacted Triangle Sheltie Rescue and they can't take any of the Shelties. I've got an email to Collie Rescue of the Carolinas, and thinking about sending an email to SE Herding Dog Rescue when I get back. If anyone here can help, please do. I'm going to do my darndest to save these dogs.
 
I just sent you a PM with some possible leads, or at least people who can possibly send you in the right direction.

Thanks so much for caring.
 
Good luck and thanks for having such a loving heart and making this effort. People need to get their dogs FIXED!! :mad:

Let us know what happens.

Sharon
 
Pictures!!

Thanks to all. I worked with my organization, and they found a different foster for MY foster, so I'm going to be pulling Mom and her 4 pups. Probably on Monday, unless I get a call from AC in the next hour or so (they had a viewing to go to, and they only have 1 guy working for the 4 hours they're open to the public on Sat). I have an appt with my vet on Monday afternoon to get an initial assessment. Puppies are eating solid food, but are still nursing -- I'd place them at about 4-6 weeks old. I'm still looking for a rescue that's willing to take them, but at least they're safe and will get the vet care they need.
Here's mom and two of the pups (the pups look similar). Two males and two females. Link to photos of the family (on my Facebook): http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=57893&id=100000142514388
 
I am hoping that the leads I gave you may work out. I will keep my ears open for anything else to come up.

I can't pull up the pictures...says they are unavailable to me. But, can't wait to take a peak.

Again, thanks so much for caring and doing what you can to help these guys out.
 
Danisgoat, and everyone else, I've changed my privacy settings on Facebook, so you should be able to see photos. I plan on keeping my settings open over the weekend. Will change them back on Monday. If anyone wants to capture the pictures and post them, feel free.
 
Danisgoat, and everyone else, I've changed my privacy settings on Facebook, so you should be able to see photos. I plan on keeping my settings open over the weekend. Will change them back on Monday. If anyone wants to capture the pictures and post them, feel free.

I still can't open them up. Hmm....I usually don't have problems viewing fb pictures.
 
Back
Top