Martingale Styles

The leashes by design (LBD) custom martingales are braided leather with fine chain. I haven't had any problems with the chain/fur and I know that Barb hasn't had any problems with that either.
 
When buying a Martingale collar, are you looking for one like this
http://www.fordogtrainers.com/ProductImages/products/pictures/dog-collar/nylon-dog-collar/all-weather-martingale-collar.jpg
Or are you looking for one that is all fabric? I would think that the chain one would get caught in the fur but I just want to double check.

I'd also have to say that style won't matter as much as fit- the measurements must be correct for it to slip over the head when loose but not slip over the head when tightened.
 
Unless you are custom ordering I would suggest getting an adjustable one. I find with Deska - the difference between his neck in summer and winter is significant. I brought a martingale in winter that is not meant to break the coat. But now its summer and he has less undercoat he can slip out of it really easily and unfortunately it isn't adjustable.

For Tully I have found the fabric type most effective
http://www.callicoma.com.au/images/Martingale1.jpg And its cheap. But I don't leave it on her around the house.

Deska has at least half a dozen (and can slip out of all of them - some easier than others), but I do find his fabric limited slip the most effective and the non-adjustable and the chain ones the least. Other people here use chain link martingales though and dont have the same problem with the fur getting caught. Deska's coat is pretty dry though so maybe that contributes to the chain getting stuck (the chain turns to the front and it gets caught there)
 
Last edited:
I prefer the adjustable ones with chains that you can get at Petsmart. When Sadie startles the chain tightens much more quickly than the fabric ones do, so its less likely that she'll slip her head out of the collar.

I also think its important getting one that adjusts. As Caro said, there can be a significant difference in the amount of fur around the neck in the summer and winter so I need to be able to adjust the size when necessary.

This is the collar that Sadie has and Ginny will get, when she's bigger. For some reason, Petsmart calls it a choke chain trainingno collar, but its a martingale. I keep Sadie's adjusted so that it does not choke her, just tightens enough so that her head can't slip out. It was very inexpensive

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751415
 
is a martingale collar safe to use on my sheltie puppy? She's 5 1/2 months and a little over 12 inches. She does seem to have a small head and neck and I dont want to hurt her. She pulls a little when she walks. She also pulls very hard when she see's another dog. Right now I just use a regular harness. I can't use a standard collar because she has slipped out of it.
 
is a martingale collar safe to use on my sheltie puppy? She's 5 1/2 months and a little over 12 inches. She does seem to have a small head and neck and I dont want to hurt her. She pulls a little when she walks. She also pulls very hard when she see's another dog. Right now I just use a regular harness. I can't use a standard collar because she has slipped out of it.

Your girl does sound quite small...I wouldn't use it on a young puppy, but I think 5 1/2 months old is probably safe, assuming your pup has fairly good leash manners. You don't want her hanging herself on it. It was around that age that I started using a martingale on Sadie. She was bigger at that age however.
 
For the most part she does have good leash manners. She pulls a little. Barely noticeable, but when she sees another dog, she pulls, jumps and whines. And when she gets close to them, she starts running back and forth on her leash. She wants them to chase her.

I've tried making her sit, watch me, wait...she won't listen.
 
is a martingale collar safe to use on my sheltie puppy? She's 5 1/2 months and a little over 12 inches. She does seem to have a small head and neck and I dont want to hurt her. She pulls a little when she walks. She also pulls very hard when she see's another dog. Right now I just use a regular harness. I can't use a standard collar because she has slipped out of it.


Or local trainer actually recommend the martingale for puppies. It is not a "choker" therefore it only closes to a certain tightness. You can adjust them so that they tighten just enough so that she will not be able to slip out if she pulls back. Then, when there is not tention, the collar is nice and loose. We have used one on Chloe since we got her, and absolutely love it. We do not keep it on her all the time, but just use it for her walks.
 
To reiterate, a martingale is NOT a choke chain, so it is perfectly safe for a 5 1/2 month old puppy - actually it was when Bacca was about that age that I found he NEEDED one, when he slipped his collar. When properly fitted, the martingale will tighten without choking but enough to avoid slipping over the head. They are ideal for certain breeds, like Shelties, where the head size is small in proportion to their neck size. In order to fit the neck, owners loosen up the collar, which makes it easy to pull the head out.

You do want to get an adjustable one, at least until they reach full size. And you want the band and chain to be as narrow as possible. I prefer the chain, as I find it glides more smoothly than cloth. I've never had a problem with the fur catching, but maybe that's because the chain on my collars are extremely fine.

Caro is correct about measurement. They must be a perfect fit...another reason why some people prefer adjustable....to accomodate ups and downs in coat, weight, etc. With Bacca's weight loss, his is a little loose at the moment.

I am considering ordering a second set, slightly smaller, for that reason alone (and maybe while I'm at it, the custom leash as well! :wink2:)
 
Back
Top