Sharon7
Moderator
Tuesday at 4:00 AM I was woken up by some banging coming from the room where the dogs sleep, right across the hall from our bedroom. I leapt out of bed and ran in there to find Meadow in the midst of a grand mal seizure. She was on her side, all limbs flailing, mouth open in a grimace, and urine all over. I could not believe my eyes. It only lasted about a minute but seemed like forever.
I scooped her up in my arms, she was limp and couldn't hold her head up very well. I wrapped her in towel and sat with her, my heart racing and head spinning. My husband was up by this time as well, he took care of the other two.
After about 10 minutes she recovered and we cleaned her up best we could. When she seemed fine, we went back to bed (not that I slept!) and had her lying right inbetween us with my arm around her. She slept OK.
Up in a couple of hours, ate normally, pottied normally, seemed fine. I put a call out to my vet but she was out of town, and the one remaining vet was booked solid. She said just bring her in for bloodwork and if she doesn't have another seizure I'll see her Thursday morning. Well, around 9:00 I stepped into the garage to throw in laundry, went right back in, and there she was, finishing up another seizure. So off to the emergency vet.
I called ahead, and they said there might be a 3- 4 hour wait, but they would take her back and triage her to make sure she was stable.
They actually got her in right away. We racked our brains for ANY possible thing she could have gotten into, and came up with nothing. We'd been with her all day the day before except just an hour or two. Checked the yard and house for anything - nada.
The ER vet was so kind and thorough. She said Meadow's in house labwork was normal except for slight anemia (??!!) Her blood pressure was also normal and her neuro exam was normal. Given the lack of obvious toxins, and the two seizures so close together, she said she was pretty sure Meadow has epilepsy.
They gave her an antiseizure med (Keppra) and sent out more detailed labs to check thyroid etc. She's only 3 1/2 years old, of course I thought I'd have many years before I'd have to worry about her health.
My own heroic vet actually called me at 8:35 on Wed evening after she'd received the ER report and lab results. We spoke for a bit. She asked when Meadow had had her flea and tick med, it was Aug 1. Since 7 days had passed, she doesn't believe there is a connection.
So now, and perhaps forever, Meadow is on Keppra every 8 hours. Which is obviously a big impact on our lives and time. She is a bit too small for the extended release version which would only be twice daily, but my vet said she would check with a neurologist on that. It would make a huge difference.
She is absolutely fine since then. Running, playing, happy. Like nothing ever happened. It has been a gut punch.
Calliesmom, if you see this, I know Jocu suddenly had some seizures for unknown reason - can you update me on that? Either here or a PM, I would be grateful. Not a club I wanted to be a member of, but there it is.
I scooped her up in my arms, she was limp and couldn't hold her head up very well. I wrapped her in towel and sat with her, my heart racing and head spinning. My husband was up by this time as well, he took care of the other two.
After about 10 minutes she recovered and we cleaned her up best we could. When she seemed fine, we went back to bed (not that I slept!) and had her lying right inbetween us with my arm around her. She slept OK.
Up in a couple of hours, ate normally, pottied normally, seemed fine. I put a call out to my vet but she was out of town, and the one remaining vet was booked solid. She said just bring her in for bloodwork and if she doesn't have another seizure I'll see her Thursday morning. Well, around 9:00 I stepped into the garage to throw in laundry, went right back in, and there she was, finishing up another seizure. So off to the emergency vet.
I called ahead, and they said there might be a 3- 4 hour wait, but they would take her back and triage her to make sure she was stable.
They actually got her in right away. We racked our brains for ANY possible thing she could have gotten into, and came up with nothing. We'd been with her all day the day before except just an hour or two. Checked the yard and house for anything - nada.
The ER vet was so kind and thorough. She said Meadow's in house labwork was normal except for slight anemia (??!!) Her blood pressure was also normal and her neuro exam was normal. Given the lack of obvious toxins, and the two seizures so close together, she said she was pretty sure Meadow has epilepsy.
They gave her an antiseizure med (Keppra) and sent out more detailed labs to check thyroid etc. She's only 3 1/2 years old, of course I thought I'd have many years before I'd have to worry about her health.
My own heroic vet actually called me at 8:35 on Wed evening after she'd received the ER report and lab results. We spoke for a bit. She asked when Meadow had had her flea and tick med, it was Aug 1. Since 7 days had passed, she doesn't believe there is a connection.
So now, and perhaps forever, Meadow is on Keppra every 8 hours. Which is obviously a big impact on our lives and time. She is a bit too small for the extended release version which would only be twice daily, but my vet said she would check with a neurologist on that. It would make a huge difference.
She is absolutely fine since then. Running, playing, happy. Like nothing ever happened. It has been a gut punch.
Calliesmom, if you see this, I know Jocu suddenly had some seizures for unknown reason - can you update me on that? Either here or a PM, I would be grateful. Not a club I wanted to be a member of, but there it is.
There is no known cause.