Megan has bad breath

Megansmom

Forums Sage
I noticed today that Megan has really bad breath, like fishy smelling breath. I looked in her mouth and didnt see any obvious signs of decay or rotting teeth. Besides, I would think she is too young for teeth problems already. She eats Royal Canin Puppy 33 dry and occassionally a little canned, usually Kefir non-fat, plain yogurt everyday as well.

Any ideas of what could be causing her foul breath :confused2:
 
is she a poop eater???

Maybe the canned food is getting stuck in her teeth and causing that smell? you can try brushing her teeth and see if that helps
 
is she a poop eater???

Maybe the canned food is getting stuck in her teeth and causing that smell? you can try brushing her teeth and see if that helps



Hmmm, I don't think she's a poop eater cause she enough in the back yard for me to clean up. The amount of canned food is maybe a tsp every other meal, but I will try brushing her teeth :yes: Should be interesting, hehe!
 
Bentley has bad breath a lot of the time, too. I've found that he gets food stuck in the back of his mouth between his teeth and gums. Not bad, but bad enough to cause some calculus build up. We try to scale his teeth some, but he's not a big fan.

I recommend Merrick's bones called Flossies. It has helped Bentley's breath a lot.
 
She's probably teething. Ginny has gone through periods where her breath was pretty bad, and this was before her poop eating started :dead:

Sadie had the most TOXIC puppy breath ever, caused by teething. It honestly made me sick to my stomach. It smelled like some small animal had crawled into her little mouth, died and was rotting away in there somewhere. It was the worst between 4-6 months old.

This lasted from approx. 3-3/2 months old till she was approx. 8 months old. I don't think there is much you can do about it, except keep her comfortable by offering her appropriate things to chew.
 
She might be, but she will be 5 months on Jan 25th, how long do Sheltie puppies teethe? TY....

Susan, I bet its from teething. She the right age.:smile2: Some of them smell horrible. All the teeth should be out by 6 months give or take a week or 2. The teeth may come in over and settle for the next month or so.

If you can get an oral rinse with chlorhexidine 0.12% in it and rinse her mouth daily, it will help the smell some. It is anti-bacterial just make sure it is for use it the mouth. For example:http://www.discountpetdrugs.com/cetorhyri8oz.html

Also look around in the mouth and make sure nothing is stuck. I one time had a ACD puppy with a stick wedge across the top of his mouth. It was irriating the gums and causing infection.
 
Susan, I bet its from teething. She the right age.:smile2: Some of them smell horrible. All the teeth should be out by 6 months give or take a week or 2. The teeth may come in over and settle for the next month or so.

If you can get an oral rinse with chlorhexidine 0.12% in it and rinse her mouth daily, it will help the smell some. It is anti-bacterial just make sure it is for use it the mouth. For example:http://www.discountpetdrugs.com/cetorhyri8oz.html

Also look around in the mouth and make sure nothing is stuck. I one time had a ACD puppy with a stick wedge across the top of his mouth. It was irriating the gums and causing infection.

Interesting, I've never heard of an oral hygiene rinse for dogs! :eek2:
 
Back
Top