My two boys (now at Rainbow Bridge) tended to get a little bored with their job every so often, so I'd have to switch things up. We did obedience until that was *yawn*, then herding ducks, agility, herding sheep, tricks, and herding cows. When I retired them from competition, I trained even more tricks and had them both certified as therapy dogs who did little demonstrations and visits at the local children's hospital. Neechee was in pretty high demand for posing for advertising photography, as he was polite, biddable, and would pose for hours. Max (Border Collie) greatly enjoyed work as a performing party clown at children's birthday parties (that was the one place HE wasn't the tornado in the room).
The pair of girls I have right now have the most basic, yet most important of any job a dog has - they are companions and friends, and happy with that. They are "First Friends".
The pair of girls I have right now have the most basic, yet most important of any job a dog has - they are companions and friends, and happy with that. They are "First Friends".
(The same links that are on here). I've just started teaching Epic some of the puppy tricks and because we've also had a lot of snow, his normal outdoors activities (weave training etc) have been impossible. I've found that he is MORE tired from learning the tricks than from running the weaves and we're spending a similar amount of time doing it. Because we are free shaping and he has to figure out for himself how to make me 'click' he's working quite hard, both mentally and physically. Epic is training for HTM so we do quite a few tricks anyway but in the past I have done more luring which doesn't involve quite the same effort but still a lot of fun. The benefit of tricks is that you can teach a dog pretty much anything that it is physically capable of and it doesn't take up a lot of space or need any specialist equipment - we've done most of our training in a space about 6foot square! It also really strengthens the bond between owner and dog and the more they learn, the easier they are to teach new things. Even if there isn't any long term need for the tricks (for competition or sport) they're still a lot of fun and something that friends and family will be impressed with too
). Instead, she has learned to steal my slippers when I am about to put them on
silly pup!