I just read this on a breeder's website (in the section explaining coat colours)...
If you are not prepared to care for handicapped puppies, merle to merle breedings should not be attempted.
So what are we to take from this?... That if you ARE willing to care for handicapped puppies, then merle to merle breedings are ok?
Don't get me wrong... I think the people that care for handicapped (blind and/or deaf) dogs are to be commended, because those dogs are here and there's nothing that can change things after the fact. But to breed in a manner that almost guarantees them, and they say "well it's ok because I'm ok with handicapped dogs" is crazy. IMO.
If you are not prepared to care for handicapped puppies, merle to merle breedings should not be attempted.
So what are we to take from this?... That if you ARE willing to care for handicapped puppies, then merle to merle breedings are ok?
Don't get me wrong... I think the people that care for handicapped (blind and/or deaf) dogs are to be commended, because those dogs are here and there's nothing that can change things after the fact. But to breed in a manner that almost guarantees them, and they say "well it's ok because I'm ok with handicapped dogs" is crazy. IMO.