Nails, nails, nails

k9kreationz

Forums Celebrity
Well, here we go with the nails again.

I'm not great at keeping them trimmed, so don't yell at me yet. I just bought a house with hardwood floors so, omg, the upkeep of nails and paw fur is constant. like, every 3-4 days constant. I'm trying to get them cut back more, but y'know, gotta wait for the quick to recede.

Is this normal? I mean, this upkeep? I've never had hardwood, and always walked the dogs on concrete, so that wore it down. Now that we have a yard, play with them outside, there's less walks. And with the rain finally coming, that'll be 9 months of no walks really.

The only other time I had to do this type of upkeep was when I did agility, indoors, on rubber floors with Koji. Nails and paw fur were cut twice a week. Even Miko's nails didn't grow that fast. But dang, between Koji and Vogue, I'll be at this 2, maybe 3x a week. Yikes!

Thoughts? Advice?
 
I find the nails grow faster on my younger dogs than my seniors. Paw fur seems to sprout like dandelions in spring. Of course by the time they're seniors, trimming their nails is a snap. The young ones, not so much! :wacky: We have rugs and hardwood floors and don't walk much on concrete either...more grass and ground. I trim nails every other week and if I were on top of it, they'd be done every week. It's not just you!
 
I feel for you!

Now that Baron is in obedience classes and we are in a school gym without rubber mats, I am constantly trimming his nails and cutting the hair in between his pads! :confused:

Loved the 'paw fur' analogy Ann!:ROFLMAO:

At least I can walk him on the sidewalks for training!
 
Definitely feel the pain. I am constantly trimming nails and fur between the pads. She's losing fur everywhere else, but paw fur grows out of control. She gets walks on cement twice a day. I rarely have to trim rear nails, but front nails need a trimming about once a month.
 
Define young ones cuz my gawd, Vogue's fur grows like....worse than dandelions. I thought Koji's had slowed down, but now that I hear him on the floor, ugh, it hasn't really, I've just been slacking. Carpet hides a lot....like tumblefurs. lol.
 
Nah, I think it's normal. I trim toenails once a week (if I'm being good) and even then it can drive me crazy. Enzo's foot and ear hair also grows like weeds, so I feel like I'm constantly behind. I'll usually end up looking at a picture I took and going "oops! Guess it's time for a trim!"
 
I do Pipers nails weekly but really I could do them twice a week they grow so fast and his paw fur...geez, I think I trim it at least every two weeks! I also have hardwood and OMG the dog hair! I moved a year ago from an entire carpeted house and if I don't sweep daily you'd think I never swept in a month ( at least to those non sheltie owners :ROFLMAO:)! Awhile back I was visiting Pipers breeder and her neighbors son was over and he said 'gee, you've got a lot of dog hair under the couch'...I had to laugh but with at least 8 shelties that was probably one day of not vacuuming:lol:
 
Define young ones cuz my gawd, Vogue's fur grows like....worse than dandelions. I thought Koji's had slowed down, but now that I hear him on the floor, ugh, it hasn't really, I've just been slacking. Carpet hides a lot....like tumblefurs. lol.

OK young is relative but in mine I find nail growth slows down somewhat after 7. That's years, LOL. The paw fur never stops though...it seems the more I trim, the faster it grows! :confused:
 
I wish those nails and feet fur would stop growing so quickly. I just trimmed Shelby's feet today. OMG, I do not know where all that fur came from, I swear I could have braided it And her nails, I can't even keep up with how quickly they grow.
 
I do Pipers nails weekly but really I could do them twice a week they grow so fast and his paw fur...geez, I think I trim it at least every two weeks! I also have hardwood and OMG the dog hair! I moved a year ago from an entire carpeted house and if I don't sweep daily you'd think I never swept in a month ( at least to those non sheltie owners :ROFLMAO:)! Awhile back I was visiting Pipers breeder and her neighbors son was over and he said 'gee, you've got a lot of dog hair under the couch'...I had to laugh but with at least 8 shelties that was probably one day of not vacuuming:lol:

OMG! So glad it's not just me. I just swiffered again and damn, the dog hair. Makes me want carpet so I don't have to see this. I told bf we need to Roomba that won't die due to choking on dog fur. LOL. Man those Shelties shed....I just never realized how much.
 
Back
Top