Nasal Adenocarcinoma (cancer)

erynjoyce

Forums Regular
Hi Everyone,

I am a new member. I am a single female who has lived with Cayman for 11 years. He was a red ribbon Christmas present when I was living in Alaska. Cayman was a puppy mill pup who was skinny and had no coat - just peach fuzz. Poor little guy. I had to potty train him in -20 during one of our worst winters. What a trooper. The result was he potties on command and every owner I know is jealous!

Cayman has been the very best gift in my life. He has been with me through thick and thin, and has added more to my life than words can express. He's loving, sensitive, funny, bright and smarter than this Guardian. He's tolerated his mother's long working hours, poor choices in relationships and her obsession with decorating.

Two years ago when I was recovering from thyroid surgery, we left Alaska and drove together to better climate in central Mexico. We stayed for one year working as house and doggie sitters. Cayman graciously shared his mother with the other doggies. We settled in the Portland area about two years ago. Cayman loves the greenery, but we could do with less rain. As you know, shelties don't like water.

In September Cayman started bleeding from his nose and snorting. After a rhinoscopy, he was diagnosed with nasal cancer. I opted to not do radiation because I could not bear to put him through the pain. Surgery was not an option. He is on a cancer diet, herbal and homeopathic remedies, vits and tramadol for pain. Despite the first vet's prognosis, he has outlived the average life expectancy (88 days post bleeding). He's still playful and eats like a fiend. This week his right eye became slightly disfigured as the tumor is putting pressure on that eye. The vet says the tumor is becoming more aggressive and it's only a matter of time. He will start a new Chinese herbal supplement this week. It has about a 40% chance of slowing or stopping the growth of the tumor, but prognosis is still poor.

I cannot describe the emotional pain of this process. I try not to cry in front of Cayman because I don't want him to worry about me. My friends are sympathetic, but have distanced themselves in the past week. As a therapist I know this is a natural reaction to loss and pending death, but nonetheless it makes the journey quite lonely.

I would like to hear from anyone who can understand or appreciate what I may be going through.. All journeys are unique, but I believe we are all one in Spirit.

Thank you for taking the time to listen. I promise to not be so winded the next go around.

Best regards, Eryn & Cayman
 
I am so sorry to hear about the news. The good thing is that he has outlived his prognosis. He must have a fighting spirit. I can't even begin to imagine what this is like, but I wish you happiest time with Cayman. Just enjoy him and take it day by day and that's really all you can do. I'm sorry about this again, there really is no right thing to say. Hugs to you and Cayman!
 
Be as winded as you need to be Eryn, we will be here for you. I have not lost a sheltie yet, but I came very, very close in June 2000 when Indy slipped his lead and "caught" a truck. The vet said that Indy would not make it and I can still see Indy lying on the table at the REACH animal hospital, unresponsive and panting. Of course, no one told Indy he could not make it and so he slowly pulled through....making no sound at all for 5 months. I always called Indy my opera dog as he would sing and sing and sing when outside or lonely. With a crushed chest and fractured scapula, he did not make a noise at all for the longest time and I would carry him as gently as possible so that he could be outside.

We did have to make the mercy decision for our cat Rocky. At 11 years old he began losing weight, then had trouble keeping food down. Tons of tests and exams at the vet revealed.....nothing. The vet had no suggestions for treatment as they could not find the problem. My husband was in denial that Rocky was dying, and kept trying different foods. When Rocky diminished from 16 lbs to 4 lbs Alan finally came to the realization that his precious Rocky was no longer enjoying any quality of life. Cats and dogs tend not to complain, and Rocky never whined or cried but you could see his posture was "hunched." My husband and I took Rocky to the vet for that last visit and we held him as the doctor gave him the medication. The vet was very, very kind and the procedure was peaceful. It was a difficult thing to do, but it was clear that Rocky was suffering. I didn't mind all the extra clean-up taking care of a chronically ill cat.....it was the suffering that shook me. My husband couldn't see... or didn't want to see that suffering for a long time.

Only you can decide what is right for your precious Cayman. As long as he is enjoying life....even if it is in reduced activity or "messy", give him that love and attention and time. But there may come a time when you look at your beautiful friend and realize that he is suffering to stay with you. Then you will know, and you can give him peace.

We will be here for you, an ear or a shoulder or a place to vent. :sadsmile:
 
I'm so sorry for what you are going through.

My forever pup, Timber, was 12 years old when he died.

For at least 1 year, the vet and I knew there was something wrong with him. He was dropping weight and his coat condition was worsening. The vet felt a lump in his chest and suspected the worst. He was also dealing with arthrititis.

The vet could have suggested a whole bunch of treatments and xrays but basicly told me that Timber was coming to the end of his life. I could decide to prolong it with surgeries, medications, etc. We chose the less obtrusive approach. We gave him Glucosamine to deal with the joints but decided to let the lump in his chest run its course.

He died in April this year. The lump grew faster than we predicted. One day he was fine and the next day, he wasn't. He died that same day.

I know exactly what you are going through. Timber died just 6 weeks after my 19 year old daughter, Michelle.

I felt horrible guilt over Timber's death - that perhaps I should have done more to treat him, even knowing it was a hopeless cause. Then my sister sent me the kind words that Michelle must have called Timber up to Heaven to keep her company until the rest of us could join her.

That put me at peace with his death. Now I have Bacca who I brought home in June at 8 weeks old and Indy who I brought home just over a month ago. Both just over 10 months old. And of course, my two-legged teenage son :rolleyes2:
 
Yes Barb, Don't forget your two-legged teenager son.

I mean I would never forget if I had a two-legged teenager son.... :uhoh:.wait, wait, wait...I didn't FORGET to tell everyone about him...really, really, no I was just making a DRAMATIC PAUSE, yeah, yeah; that was it. :biggrin2:


Eryn don't mind me and Barb, she was razzing me earlier in another thread that I forgot to introduce my son.

SO
After that comedic interruption I'll just say that YES, laugh and live and make the best out of each day and find beauty and joy in WHERE YOU ARE! Don't borrow trouble and don't waste an opportunity for happiness. If your puppy is having a good day, then have one with him!! If he is having a rough day, then pet him and love him. And be sure that you have a friend right there where you live that will go with you when you do take that long drive to the vet's office. I'd go with you, but I'm all the way across the nation so I can only give you my love and well-wishes. :smile2:
 
Eryn, I am so sorry to hear about Cayman. You will find many on this forum who can sympathize with you, and even those who haven't dealt with cancer can feel your pain. Our first Sheltie, my special angel Scruffy, died at age 13 from a cancer we didn't know she had until the day she died. She'd also had a nosebleed the week before and been checked by the vet I was using then, who missed the tumor completely. The day she died she had a seizure in the afternoon. I rushed her to the emergency vet and had to put her down that night. I cried for a year, even though we had two other Shelties. She was my special one. My husband insisted we look for a puppy, and I found my Pixie, who has not replaced Scruffy, but has taken a whole new place in my heart. I pray that when Cayman's time comes, you will have a similar experience. We never forget the ones we lose, they are always with us.

I found comfort, information and help on this website about canine cancer. I hope it's useful to you as well. http://www.wearethecure.org/
 
Eryn - you've certainly come to the right place if you need support and understanding as you help Cayman deal with his illness and when the time comes help him leave all of his pain behind. Everything you have done and will continue to do is your gift to Cayman. You have given him all the love in the world and when he can no longer be with you on this Earth, you know he will always be with you in your heart and mind.
 
A Prayer for Cayman

St. Francis, please watch over Cayman,
Give him soft breezes and sun,
Snuggles and hugs from his Momma each night,
And plenty of places to run.

Please help him conquer his ilness,
But if healing isn't to come,
Send down your strength and courageous resolve
So Cayman can make his way Home.

Whisper to Eryn, "It's time now
To give your last gift to your love.
Help him to shed all discomfort and pain,
To dance at the Bridge far above.

Great comfort will come with remembrance,
Your grief fade to memory's refrain,
Until in a twinkling of God's endless grace
He'll be in your arms once again."
 
Last edited:
Hi Eryn! Everyone is right, you have come to the right place to talk about Cayman. I recently lost my little girl Zoe, not to cancer but to Juv. Kidney disease and she was only 7 years old. Do what you can for your little buddy and when it's time you will know. Don't hesistate to come to us and tell us what you are going through, we will all cry with you - I am right now. We all know the painful process that you are going through and will always listen - no matter how long winded you think it is. Hugs to you and your buddy from me and my girls!!!
 
I am so sorry, cancer is such a horrible disease.

((((((((((POWER PRAYERS COMING))))))))))))))
 
Back
Top