Nature's Dentist

BarbV

Forums Celebrity
Hi

I was at the pet store yesterday buying dog food when I noticed a product called Nature's Dentist....aimed at reducing plaque and improving breath (Indy's breath really stinks, and he's already showing signs of tartar build up).

I bought it, at a whopping 20 bucks and I must admit that I like the smell. You shake it on the food.

I have other dental supplements to put in water but I always forget about using it:

- Oxyfresh Pet Oral Hygiene Solution
- Suzie's Tartar Solution

Anybody have any comments about any dental supplements? Do they really work, or am I just throwing money away?
 
I have found the best dental cleansing is raw meaty bones, such as chicken legs and necks, etc..and marrow bones. I had a dog with horrible teeth, the vet was ready to remove a couple! But before I paid exorbitant amounts of $ for teeth cleaning and removal, I waited to see if the raw diet would work. It took about 6 weeks, but her teeth became amazingly clean!
 
No raw for me

I have an interesting side note here, and I am sure it will get the keyboards tapping. During the 11 years I owned a training center plus the 21 years of breeding and showing, I have been conducting my own survey of vets on feeding a raw diet. I starting this because so many of our clients wanted us to carry raw food in addition to our other product lines. I come in contact with many vets, either giving seminars, as licenced judges, and as dog breeders and show dog owners. I ALWAYS ask their opinion on feeding a raw diet....to the point that Tofu Pup would roll her eyes at my leading question.
Here is what I gleened from these conversations....NEVER, say it again, NEVER have I had a vet in favor of it. I have had answers with a chuckle that it is good for business, all the bones they have had to surgically remove from dogs throats. But, by far and away, the number one reason I have heard for not feeding a raw diet is concerns of salmonella for the dog and the owner.
Owners in favor of feeding a raw diet mention that it is close to nature, what dogs ate in the wild. Well, dogs only lived a few years in the wild. They didn't die of old age.
I think there is a balance to everything, and there are dog foods that meet in the middle.....meeting nutritional needs, and not being raw meat.
 
I have an interesting side note here, and I am sure it will get the keyboards tapping. During the 11 years I owned a training center plus the 21 years of breeding and showing, I have been conducting my own survey of vets on feeding a raw diet. I starting this because so many of our clients wanted us to carry raw food in addition to our other product lines. I come in contact with many vets, either giving seminars, as licenced judges, and as dog breeders and show dog owners. I ALWAYS ask their opinion on feeding a raw diet....to the point that Tofu Pup would roll her eyes at my leading question.
Here is what I gleened from these conversations....NEVER, say it again, NEVER have I had a vet in favor of it. I have had answers with a chuckle that it is good for business, all the bones they have had to surgically remove from dogs throats. But, by far and away, the number one reason I have heard for not feeding a raw diet is concerns of salmonella for the dog and the owner.
Owners in favor of feeding a raw diet mention that it is close to nature, what dogs ate in the wild. Well, dogs only lived a few years in the wild. They didn't die of old age.
I think there is a balance to everything, and there are dog foods that meet in the middle.....meeting nutritional needs, and not being raw meat.

Big sigh of relief! You've finally articulated what I've been gnawing over (yes, pun intended) over this whole raw diet thing.

It's all true about our dogs as being carnivores. But Connie is bang on....the life expectancy of a wild dog is not 12-18 years. But our domesticated dogs do live that long and beyond So why should we try to emulate our domesticated dogs eating to eating a wild dog?

Domesticated dogs do great on good quality kibble diet.

Are we going overboard as pet owners.....searching for only the very best?

p.s. In hindsight, I've probably spent more time agonizing over what I feed my pups than I ever did about feeding my kids! Seriously!
 
I have an interesting side note here, and I am sure it will get the keyboards tapping. During the 11 years I owned a training center plus the 21 years of breeding and showing, I have been conducting my own survey of vets on feeding a raw diet. I starting this because so many of our clients wanted us to carry raw food in addition to our other product lines. I come in contact with many vets, either giving seminars, as licenced judges, and as dog breeders and show dog owners. I ALWAYS ask their opinion on feeding a raw diet....to the point that Tofu Pup would roll her eyes at my leading question.
Here is what I gleened from these conversations....NEVER, say it again, NEVER have I had a vet in favor of it. I have had answers with a chuckle that it is good for business, all the bones they have had to surgically remove from dogs throats. But, by far and away, the number one reason I have heard for not feeding a raw diet is concerns of salmonella for the dog and the owner.
Owners in favor of feeding a raw diet mention that it is close to nature, what dogs ate in the wild. Well, dogs only lived a few years in the wild. They didn't die of old age.
I think there is a balance to everything, and there are dog foods that meet in the middle.....meeting nutritional needs, and not being raw meat.

This is very interesting...when I discussed feeding raw with my vet, who is holistic, he strongly discouraged me. Said he'd had two clients who contracted salmonella from doing it. And he doesn't think it's that much of a benefit to the dogs either, especially with the wonderful holistic foods available now.
 
hoo-whee, I think this will get things tapping! (Sorry, BarbV, we're kinda changing the subject on you!)

I'm not a fan of raw feeding, either. I can see where it is attractive (you know exactly what ingredients your dog is getting, the "natural diet" argument), but at the same time, the much-maligned commercial kibble has a lot going for it. As Ann has said, there are many, many wonderful, high-quality commercial dog diets out there now - as dog owners, we have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to choosing foods. All of these quality commercial foods, however, have certain things in common: they are developed under the guidance of veterinary nutritionists, and they have a guaranteed nutritional analysis. You know what you're getting, nutrition-wise.

Besides, handling raw meat is no small matter (personally, I think I've done it only twice in my life!:lol:), in terms of potentially-dangerous bacteria. The risk of contamination or infection (of surfaces, of other, noncooked foods, of you, of your dog) is definitely present. I'm sure that those who do feed raw are aware of these risks and take them very seriously, but I know it's WAY more than I'd want to work with.

Talking dog food is like talking religion or politics. The opinions are strong, and you aren't likely to change them.
 
hoo-whee, I think this will get things tapping! (Sorry, BarbV, we're kinda changing the subject on you!)


Talking dog food is like talking religion or politics. The opinions are strong, and you aren't likely to change them.

No worries....but if we get back to my thread eventually, that would be great! :wink2:

And you are so right, talking food is like other taboo subjects.

I have to admit, however, when I first joined the forum I was feeding my pups Pro Plan. My breeder used it so it HAD to be o.k., right??!!! I held out for the longest time, insisting that my parents fed Dog Chow to our dogs, and they lived long lives. I though everyone was nuts over the issue.

Well, I'm converted! My dogs now eat top quality food and are thriving on it. Thanks to the honesty of this forum. :smile2:
 
Hi

I was at the pet store yesterday buying dog food when I noticed a product called Nature's Dentist....aimed at reducing plaque and improving breath (Indy's breath really stinks, and he's already showing signs of tartar build up).

I bought it, at a whopping 20 bucks and I must admit that I like the smell. You shake it on the food.

I have other dental supplements to put in water but I always forget about using it:

- Oxyfresh Pet Oral Hygiene Solution
- Suzie's Tartar Solution

Anybody have any comments about any dental supplements? Do they really work, or am I just throwing money away?


Is there any harmful effects of these products to the dogs ??? Like Diarrhea or intestinal inflammation ???
 
Is there any harmful effects of these products to the dogs ??? Like Diarrhea or intestinal inflammation ???

That's why I'm asking! I want to know if there are any upsides or downsides - or am I just wasting my time.
 
Back
Top