Need recommendations on new brushes for small Sheltie

eyost

Forums Regular
Hi all,

I am in the process of adding some new brushes to my tools for a small 9 month old Sheltie (13 lbs.).

I currently have two rakes where the pins spin so if they hit a snag it moves instead of tears. The two rakes are four and two inches.

I have read where many of you use pin brushes and slicker brushes, but so many choices, I'm not sure where to start.

Open to recommendations and suggestions as I really want to fluff that beatiful coat up.

Ed
 
I was JUST looking at postings on this subject. First off, I am an old Persian exhibitor. Second, I spent 10 years with Aussies (of the fluffy, cottony, and straigt coats -- one of each). Third, I just got my sheltie 2 months ago and she had been shaved at the beginning of summer so has not the long flowing coat (YET).

My personal items are a small-toothed comb (for the head/face/ears), a very WIDE toothed come with rounded tips for a good comb through. That one served me well with the Persians and it doing great with the sheltie 1-2x a week. Third is a pincushion brush with NO pin-tips. I got mine on Amazon to replace my old one that had deteriorated. Mine is some European brand and it works well and the rubber appears really quality. That is an every day or two thing for her at this time. People here talk about Chris Christensen brand and they look really great and you can get longer pins for longer coats. I am also intrigued by the CC brand wooden pincushion brush. I DO have an undercoat rake, but that is mostly for my one long-haired cat. It's harsh on the coat. I have never, dog or cat/single or double coats had much luck with a slicker, except to backcomb up a poof. Not really a maintenance thing.

So, I think I will suggest you look at the CC brand and make sure any pincushion brushes don't have the little pin-top tip which rips out hair. I did use the rotating comb tines once on the Persians and didn't care for them. But I do like rounded comb tines rather than kind of pointy or blunt. Many also suggest brushing with a slight dampness to the coat (water or grooming spray). That is something to consider. I figure it makes the coat pretty soft like when the dog runs out for a quick potty in light rain.

Hope this helps. I waded through the grooming thread earlier today.
 
I've use a few different slickers and I haven't liked any of them. They either fall apart or rip the fur or both. I JUST got a my new Chris Cristonsen slicker brush yesterday and I absolutely LOVE it!:biggrin2: It goes through their fur so smoothly and makes it so soft and beautiful. The bristles are firm so it goes into the fur yet soft so it dosn't rip fur or skin, if that makes since.:o Someone took my old brush and tried to prove to me it was just as good by smacking it on their wrist, he cut himself.:rolleyes2: Did the same with the CC brush, not a scratch. I also had a professional Shetland Sheepdog breeder/groomer/handler tell me she's tried all the good brushes and CC was the best, she doesn't use anything else. I got the mediem and it's a good size for all my shelties. My smallest is 12 lbs my biggest is 25 lbs.
 
I also use a fine tooth comb on my small sheltie, who also has a soft coat, albeit a fluffy one. The comb I use has wider teeth at one end and very fine teeth at the other. I have also used rat tail combs, although they don't last as long as the fine tooth dog combs. For general brushing I use a small human round hair brush with plastic tips and occasionally the Lawrence tender care slicker.
 
Thanks all for the helpful information. Looks like I will be going with a CC slicker and a pin brush. Any recommendations for a 13 lb sheltie?

I took a look at his site and my so many choices!

Thanks again,

Ed
 
Don't get my wrong.....I'm a huge fan of CC products....most of my grooming kit is CC

But I've discovered over the years some much cheaper products.

But here is my basic kit bag

No. 1 tool....the slicker. I prefer a softer slicker. Lawrence or Four Paws Ultimate Touch are my favs. Even better than CC, frankly. And cheaper.

No. 2 too....the ultimate pin brush brush.....I love a 35 mm, oblong brush. I don't use the shorter oval pins anymore. I just find them ackward. CC, and #1 All Systems and I think Q all carry comparable product.

No. 3... a Teflon rake.....I only use it on the under pants. Beware that some brands are super pointy. I really don't like those. I'm not sure why anyonce would use them.

No. 4....a greyhound comb.....has both wide and fine teeth. Great for ears and generaly dematting of problem areas

No. 5....bikini shaver! Yep! I use after scissoring the dogs feet to clean up loose hair and before clipping nails. Also good for the poop chute. Super gentle. Won't freak your dog

No. 6....nail clippers. I don't like the guillotine style. I also like to dremmel my dogs nails. You can gradually shrink back the quick with a dremmel over time

No. 7.....leave in shampoo and conditioner.....Dilute to about 1/3. If you use direct it creates residue and more bathing. But for quick touch ups, they are the best.

No. 8 - Baby wipes....for those oops moments when pup's bowels let loose.

No. 9, 10 and 11...scisscors.....Small rounded nail scissors (pharmacy) Decent quality and sharp straight scissors. You can buy a pair a year and dispose, or you can get good quality and get them sharpened and they will last forever. Same with thinning shears. But I actually prefer my pharmacy thinning shears to my CC shears.

No. 12, etc. Quik stop for bleeding when you cut the nail. too short. Cologne to mask wet dog smell, tick remover,

I'm sure I'm forgetting something

It sounds like a lot, but it will last you forever.


Even with all this product, I still get my dogs groomed professionally at least 3 times per year. I just can't bathe like she does. But when it comes to trimming I prefer to do that myself. Even my own store groomer tends to overdo it. I let her do the Grinch feet.
 
Any recommendations for a 13 lb sheltie?
Ed

The medium slicker works well for all my dogs. For your dogs size I would think the medium or small would be good. Personally though, I'd get the medium. As for the pin brush, the sheltie breeder I mentioned before told me what she prefers for it, but for the life of me I can't remember it.:o The only problem she's had with the CC pin brush is the pins sometimes get pushed in.

PS Barb, I think it was the #1 All Systems pin brush that she recommended.
 
PS Barb, I think it was the #1 All Systems pin brush that she recommended.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, you lost me....who recommended it? I thought I was the first one to bring it up?????
 
Sorry, you lost me....who recommended it? I thought I was the first one to bring it up?????

I'd mentioned a sheltie breeder before that had been helping me with grooming my shelties professionally. She told me the names of all her grooming tools but I'd forgoten the name of the pin brush and I think it was one of the ones you mentioned (#1 All Systems). Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear.:o
 
I have a slicker brush I got when Emma was a puppy, that I love. Not sure on the brand. It had a good handle until Liam decided to chew on it. I find it works great on the pants and around the ears. I have a Conair pin brush which has a memory handle - a thicker handle which I like as it is easier for my hands to grab and hold on to. I have issues with thin handled brushes. I also have an undercoat rake that I have for Noah - love it. When you will find, we can make all the recommendations for brushes and grooming equipment, but you have to figure out and decide for yourself which works best for you.
 
Back
Top