Needing to poop "way too early"

Gingers Mom

Forums Enthusiast
Hi all,

It's been awhile. Ginger's doing great.

For the past few weeks Ginger has been waking us (she scratches on the door) at around 4AM to go out. She always pees and poops right away.

How do we get her back on a realistic schedule, which had been about 6AM.

We feed her dinner around 6PM and take her out at 10PM or so, before we go to bed. Any ideas?

from Sleep deprived
 
Well, you could try to feed her a bit later, but I'm not sure that will help. Sounds like it has become more of a habit than anything.

What worked for me was to wait just a little longer every few days. So on the first couple days, I would wait until 4:15 to let the puppy out, even if it meant 15 minutes of crying. Then, once that became the habit, we'd wait until 4:30. And so on and so forth until it became a more reasonable time :)

But, if you think that she REALLY has to go (not, oh I'm up and it's morning and I should go) then that won't work. As long as you're sure she won't go in her crate, I'd recommend just waiting small increments each morning.
 
If she isn't crated (I'm assuming she isn't since she's scratching at your door) I would crate her again for the overnight to reset her schedule. She may cry at 4 a.m. but as Ashley said, I'd wait a few minutes longer each night to take her out.
 
4 years old.

So this is a new behavior problem.

I would say that there is something definitely going on if this is new behaviour.

With spring coming, are you seeing any increased wildlife out and about? Racoons, foxes? May she's itching to go chasing those.

But perhaps she has a UTI or gastro upset. Have your switched food or done anything different to her diet lately? New treats? New foods?
 
I hate to put a kink in your chain. You may want to wait till after the week-end. Sat night we move the clocks an hour forward. Dogs don't know about this so you may want to calculate the difference. :eek2:
 
Back
Top