neighbor rant

cailynne

Forums Regular
Sorry about this but i am super pissed!!!
this lady that lives cattycorner from back yard is calling animal control on me due tothe barking of the 3 dogs..i tried to work with this lady before..she says that she cant open her windows without hearing the dogs barking. i have a sonic bird house thing and have put bark collars on the smaller ones....nope has helped.....i have limited thier time outside.. she just came over and got info on the dogs to give to animal control, woke me up...i wasn't nice. i don't know what to do..i can't keep them locked up..inside. they are GOING to bark. I mayhave to give them up......idont know what to do!!!!!
lisa
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Document when and how long they bark, what they are barking at. Find out the noise bylaw in your town. Call the bylaw enforcement and ask them what you should be doing. Sounds like you are doing everything you can. If they are not barking a lot and you do limit their time outside, it may be that they will not take her seriously. Talk to the other neighbours and find out if the dogs barking bother them or if they have had issues with this lady. If you are not alone in having issues with her, then this needs to be made clear to the enforcement officer.
 
Sorry about this but i am super pissed!!!
this lady that lives cattycorner from back yard is calling animal control on me due tothe barking of the 3 dogs..i tried to work with this lady before..she says that she cant open her windows without hearing the dogs barking. i have a sonic bird house thing and have put bark collars on the smaller ones....nope has helped.....i have limited thier time outside.. she just came over and got info on the dogs to give to animal control, woke me up...i wasn't nice. i don't know what to do..i can't keep them locked up..inside. they are GOING to bark. I mayhave to give them up......idont know what to do!!!!!
lisa
If the dogs are outside in a fenced in yard, you could take them somewhere else for their excersize maybe. I had a shepherd who would be in her pen and bark for hours when I was at work. After the animal control person called me to say a neighbor complained, I put the dog inside when I went to work. I then would, like you did, limit the time outside and not let the dog bark in the early a.m. or late at night. The neighbor still compained, but there was nothing the dog officer could do- the barking occured at reasonable times, and not continuosly throughout the day.
These neighbors still do not like us and want nothing to do with our sheltie- even though he is a different dog and we do not have him in a fenced in yard, we take him out for adventures. Oh, and these neighbors have a dog. :lol:
Karen
 
Under these circumstances, I'd rather have them de-barked than give them up.. I know this is a "controversial" topic..., but it's what I'd do and I believe it would solve the problem with the neighbor.. Another reason...even if you could get other neighbors to come to your aid....there's no guarantee this person won't take matters into their own hands.
 
Last edited:
Does your town have a noise or barking ordinance? Most towns just have noise ordinances for nighttime.

If they do not, she can call animal control or the authorities all she wants. She will have no leg to stand on.

Just be careful though. I know someone whose neighbor got so frustrated they through acid over the fence onto one of her barking dogs. Horrible. Hence, she no does the minimal voice softening on her dogs.
 
my dogs like to run the fence with the next door neighbor's german shepherd( not the bad one) and they do bark...both the shelties and the shepherd. I work 3 rd shift and don't keep them all outside during the day the little ones are the barkers..Kodi escpecially. they typically get put out in the mornings and afternoons/evenings. if there are people outside I don't let the dogs stay out long because they will bark at them..and squirrels and trains and sirens and people walking down the street...etc. Kodi is the barking instigator.
the neighbor 2 houses down from me has no problems with the dogs and the new next door neighbor prefers dogs...alarms..lol.
I am still upset and my thinking is a bit disjointed at this time...but I am going to call animal control monday morning and see what steps they recomend me take.
Lisa
 
I have called around to see if any vets in my area do the debarking the first time she complained to me...noone in my area does it...except for one specialtly vet office who told me it would be around 1200.00 per dog. THAT I can't afford. i will talk to some sheltie rescues around me and see if they know of anyone who is more resonable
lisa
 
Go to the ASSA website and find sheltie breeders in your area. Then, call several of them, and explain your predicament first, and ask if they know of a vet that does de-barks. Collie, sheltie, and beagle breeders are your best bet to find someone who specializes in this. We pay $110.00 for a de-bark. In by 8am, and out by noon. He specializes in this, and people come from all around New England with dogs. With a little research, you will find the right vet.
 
Just be careful though. I know someone whose neighbor got so frustrated they through acid over the fence onto one of her barking dogs. Horrible. Hence, she no does the minimal voice softening on her dogs.

I agree with this. Sometimes people and their attitudes aren't pretty. I have heard of dogs getting poisioned, shot, ect. because of things like this.

I am so lucky that I live in the sticks and that neither of mine are really that bad about barking. :eek2: Fluffy barks even less than Smudge.
 
The $1200 is the bullsh*t way of making a statement that they are against it. They would probably botch it up anyway.

I do not allow my dogs outside without me standing there, and all of my dogs are debarked. Debarks are about $100 in Maryland.

I would recommend that you not allow the dogs outside without your immediate presence, and very quickly learn your local laws.

I almost went out the other night to the house with the dog who woke me up at 3am and continued to bark non stop until dawn. At 3 am, it seems totally rational to go bang on their door and tell them to bring the dog in. :smile2:
 
Back
Top