New from Ontario

3pethouse

Forums Regular
I have posted before but never introduced myself...We got Ross back in October when he was just about 10 months. He is an oversized Sheltie. We are doubtful if he is purebread as we got him from a home that said they had to get rid of him because of family issues. I think they got rid of him because of his behaviour. He is still adjusting but has had a tough go at it. We have been having major renovations so there have been contractors coming and going for the last month and a half. The project will be complete the end of this week so hopefully things will settle down. We have 2 cats as well and they are finally getting along. Ross has shown no aggression but he sure loves to play with Tiger, but then Tiger has had enough and starts to hiss and growl. It is quite comical.
Ross barks a lot when the phone rings, when I am in the kitchen cooking and when the doorbell rings! We are working on desensitizing him in the kitchen right now and taking it one day at a time. Luckily I have more patience than my husband!
He has been to obedience class and passed and we are doing a games night at the end of the month with the same school. I think I would eventually like to get him into agility as I think he would be quite good at it.
Anyways I have rambelled on.
Here is a picture from Facebook, but you have to look at the kitty pictures first!!
Thanks,
LI

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=206503&l=9b872&id=797300327
 
Welcome to the group! I hope you like it here as much as the rest of us do! Penny cans work great to help stop them from barking at things like the phone ringing. He is very cute!
 
Thanks..

yes he is quite a handsome boy. We have tried the penny can and it just seems to agitate him even more!
LI
 
Ross is very cute. I can definitely sympathize with the torturing the cats, my Sophie does that too. I really like the kitties too. As the other two have mentioned, try the penny can, it does help. Welcome to the best forum ever!!
 
Welcome to the Forum and thanks for sharing the photos of Ross and the two cats.:smile2: Spencer loves our cats and what the cats put with from him is amazing. I keep telling them to smack him, but they don't seem to care when he grabs a leg and starts pulling one of them to where he wants the cat to go.:rolleyes2: Spencer is quite a barker and I've tried everything. So if you figure out how to quiet Ross, do let me know.:eek2:
 
Welcome -- we're very open-minded about Shelties and sorta-Shelties and Sheltie Wanna-Be's. :lol:
 
Welcome to the forum, I too live in Ontario and am located in the Niagara Region.

De-sensitizing him to sounds that set him off sounds like a good idea. I can imagine how hard it is listening to the crazy barking, you must have a LOT of patience.

If it doesn't seem to be working you could always look around and see if you can find a trainer who will come to your house.

Good luck with Ross's training :smile2:
 
Welcome! Whereabouts in Ontario are you? I'm in Ottawa.

Love the photo! Doesn't everyone (at least in the northern climes) have at least ONE photo with their Sheltie with snow on their nose!

Enjoy the forum! We do!
 
Back
Top