New Member interested in shelties

Welcome to Sheltie Nation, and to being a new Sheltie mom! I can second most of the responses so far, that Shelties can be very, very energetic and some more laid back. And they can have both sides to them, of course. I think Shelties are the sweetest dogs in the world, but I am biased! My husband had a Border Collie-Australian Shepherd mix when we first met and he was a darling too, but I do think Border Collies need a job! Our Shelties have all been very, very smart though and some of them should have had a job!

Personally, I don't think a dog should be debarked. I guess breeders do this because they have many dogs, but really, a herding dog should be able to bark, in my opinion. I think you can request one that is not debarked if it is a puppy; at least that is what I would do. Good luck. I am sure you will find a real lover!:hugs

Maida, owned by sweet Christopher, sweet Ritchie and my eight wonderful little precious Sheltie angels
 
I figured that's why they sounded like that (the puppies didn't, just the adults) I wouldn't de-bark a pup if I got one though. I will let you guys know when I get a pup, it might not be for a while though; I'm thinking of rescuing a sheltie pup but there hasn't been shelties in any shelters close to me. (Which is actually a good thing :smile2:) I probably wouldn't rescue an adult just because i'm new to the breed. I will also find more breeders so I will have the best options. I guess my point is I am still not sure if I will be getting a pup from a breeder or from a rescue. Also, (sorry so many questions!!) do shelties enjoy swimming? I've never read that they don't, but never read that they do either. thanks again :razz:
 
I figured that's why they sounded like that (the puppies didn't, just the adults) I wouldn't de-bark a pup if I got one though. I will let you guys know when I get a pup, it might not be for a while though; I'm thinking of rescuing a sheltie pup but there hasn't been shelties in any shelters close to me. (Which is actually a good thing :smile2:) I probably wouldn't rescue an adult just because i'm new to the breed. I will also find more breeders so I will have the best options. I guess my point is I am still not sure if I will be getting a pup from a breeder or from a rescue. Also, (sorry so many questions!!) do shelties enjoy swimming? I've never read that they don't, but never read that they do either. thanks again :razz:

swimming- some do like water, others don't:winkgrin:
 
After reading the board here.....

Shelties have similar traits, but honestly, they seem to contradict one another.

I've always read not to let a Sheltie swim as their double coat will drag them in. But then, poeple post here about how their dogs LOVE to swim and they're not getting sucked under.

Shelties are barkers...but not all. They are herders....but not all. They can have a lot of energy...or maybe not. You see where i'm going with this? If you go with a breeder, definitely let them know what you want. I'm sure they can tell what puppy would work best for you and your family (other dogs). If you find a rescue, ask questions about their level of activity and how "comfy" they are. Comfy is the wrong word, but I can't think. I'm trying to say that at foster homes, or in shelters, they may not be themselves 100% (not comfy), so who knows what they are like when they are "comfy".

BTW, my younger Sheltie was hyper when he was a puppy and through his first couple of years he was very active (not hyper like some I've read about here). And now? He's such a lazy bum. He sleeps anytime I'm not moving. But then, once I'm up, he's alert, we do agility, he loves to bark at people on our short walks, then we come inside, and bam, he's back in his bed. Weird. I think that's the biggest diff with BC and Shelties....most Shelties kinda have an off switch. Did you notice I said "most"? Cuz y'know, many don't.

And there is no rhyme nor reason for the contradictions, lol.

Glad though, that you found a great herding breed. I think you'll be happy with a Sheltie. They are very smart like BC's too. Can't wait to see the pup when you decide to get one.
 
I think the biggest difference I have noticed in any of the high drive shelties I have known and the Border Collies is that the shelties do have an off switch. Both my daughter's dogs are grandchildren of a world class agility dog, known for their drive. They will go for miles on a hike, because they can, but come home and are pleasant dogs to live with. The Border Collies I have known will go on that same hike, rest up for 20 minutes and are ready to go again. Many of my horsey friends have Border Collies that trot beside the horses for hours and still have energy to burn. I'm sure there are probably a few shelties out there that might give those Borders a run for their money but not very many.
 
Back
Top