Nice dog, shame about the handler

Hurtseverywhere

Forums Enthusiast
Well today's trial was OK, the handler blew the Std course by running the course the Textbook way rather then running it the way He knew he should
have to get the best out of his dog, and it showed, after the run my wife said
you said before the run if you do this he's gonna do that and He did just that,
you shoud have run it like you said would & not make him not fault instead of how you did It in hindsight Yep should have.

Then on the snooker run Dad Couldn't count, we got a 3rd out of 8 16" dogs
but missed a Qual because Dad Can't count we timed out on the final 7 point
tripple combo jump at jump 2 and finished third with 36 points of the needed 37.... New I should have taken that 5 point teter instead on the 4 point jump-tunnel combo. Oh Well.:eek2:

On a good note we finished the day with a Qual in the starters jumpers , so that was our 2 jumper Quals and we now Move up to advanced jumpers.

So all In all some good some bad, but we are still waiting for that first standard course Qual run.:rolleyes2:

It was a qreat day at the trial though, met some great master level compeditors and got lots of good leads for training and just good tips
One of the Master level people with a bronze level ATchc , helped me with the snooker course when I was having trouble with it and even walked the course with me, that was nice & totally unexpected.
 
Last edited:
Sounds like a pretty good trial, to me!

Congratulations on the Jumpers Q, that's great!

And I know the feeling when it comes to changing your mind at the last minute. It tends to bite you in the butt.
 
Despite the human errors, it sounds like today was a great learning opportunity for the two of you.
That's really nice that the masters person went out of their way to help you. I've had the same thing happen when I missed a walkthrough as I had walkthroughs in two rings at the same time, and a world team member with many MACHs who was my competition went through the whole course with me, showing me her plan, what she recommended, and what to watch out for.
It's definitely something to learn to do, sticking to your first plan. You definitely know your dog best, and how he's going to react to certain parts of the course. It always seems to burn me if I change last minute. I have to stay away from watching the other dogs run so I don't go 'oh that looks so much better than what I had planned'.
 
Sounds like a good and bad weekend, but mostly good. I totally know the feeling of being the horrible handler and/or doing it the way I knew I shouldn't have. lol. Especially because I was always trialling with a friend who's dog was so different than mine. I'd handle it her way and blow it all. I learned fast, trust myself, trust my dog. Not easy, but I'm sure you won't think twice again. ;) Remember, you know your dog best, run it the way that works for you two.

Congrats on the Q for Jumpers to move up to Advance.
And an overall great learning weekend (that's how I try to look at it).
 
Then on the snooker run Dad Couldn't count

I can totally relate. I swear I'm good at math most of the time, but the snooker ring brings out the stoopid in me. I can't seem to count to 7 without missing important numbers like 4 or 5. :razz:

It sounds like you had a great weekend though with some nice people. Congratulations on the Starters Jumpers title!
 
I can totally relate. I swear I'm good at math most of the time, but the snooker ring brings out the stoopid in me. I can't seem to count to 7 without missing important numbers like 4 or 5. :razz:

This reminds me of my first CPE game, where counting was involved. I did it, swear I got enough points, and when I got my score, I was shocked to see I didn't Q. Thankfully, DH had video taped the run. I sat there, counting, then recounting, then had him count (he's great with numbers), then a friend counted, then we all counted. Then I went to the secretary and said that what was listed was wrong. So we found my score sheet, and she counted it up, then had someone double check her math. Yup, I counted right. Yay! Trust me, it's not the first time I can't add, nor even follow numbers, but I knew I had gotten more than enough. lol.

One reason I dislike math games. :rolleyes2:
 
congrats on your jumpers Q! I sympathize with your frustrations... I've had my share of 1 Q trials (out of 10 runs) where the only thing I could do was recall what went right because I'd go nuts thinking about all the qs I left out on the ring because of stoopid handling... I've gotten good at looking at the bright side and analyzing what we could do to improve. And honestly, it has really helped me become a better handler. I now know that if something goes wrong, I really need to figure out why, and work on it. I also have gotten much better at reading how my dog is running that day, because sometimes that affects our timing. It's all about the teamwork. You handle the dog you have that day, and try to figure out how to best make it work, together. Good luck with your next trial. Trust yourself, trust your dog. That's the beauty of great agility.
-dayle
 
Back
Top