No needles?

Sabbilicious

Forums Regular
The breeder I am getting my puppy from hasn't given my puppy his needles (she said that they are not really a necessity and some people would rather not pay the extra to get them done) so, is it ok for me just to do get them, when I get my puppy? He will be around 4 months old when I get him.
 
Get them done. I am surprised that she hasn't. A lot of places require certain vaccinations by law - rabies for one.
 
I would be very, very worried about a breeder that does not get puppy shots done for their dogs. They really are a necessity and having an unvaccinated puppy you will be running a very high risk of the puppy becoming sick. A pup's immune system is underdeveloped so there is a much greater risk of catching something at that age.

You can go through the round of shots yourself, but it means you will have to limit taking the puppy out and socialising until its immunity levels are up - which could take a couple of months. Your vet can give you a better idea of this. If you are intent on buying this pup I would suggest talking to your local vet about the vaccination protocol before purchasing the pup - most vets will be happy to provide you with that advice.

I am surprised she says people would rather not pay the extra for a vaccinated pup. Almost everyone buys vaccinated pups, so its always just included in the price of buying a pup.

You should also ask the breeder whether the pup has had a vet check.
 
WOW....that sounds like a red flag to me!! It's too risky not to vacinate just to save a few dollars.
 
I agree. By 12 weeks old the puppy is almost ready for their last round of puppy shots. If you have to wait until they are 12 weeks to get their first round, not only are they vulnerable to disease for much longer, but you will also have to postpone socialization even longer (until they get all their shots, which is in 2 or 3 separate rounds).

I would agree that a breeder not vaccinating the pups because "most people don't want a vaccinated dog" is really suspicious. I don't know a single breeder that I spoke to that didn't vaccinate their puppies before they went to their new homes.

In working with several breeders they never said that the dog was more expensive because they were vaccinated...they were just one price, which included all the necessary health precautions (worming, vaccinations, health checks). I would be extremely suspicious about purchasing a pup from this breeder.
 
Definite red flag. All mine have come with basic shots. I would never not vaccinate! Too risky for the pup. Too risky for everyone involved.
 
Not a red flag, maybe. Some people are very against vaccines and they raise their puppies to manage the risk rather than vaccinate. Some of us only give two vaccines, and not until 10 weeks.

If however, they do it to save money, that's a red flag.
 
Not a red flag, maybe. Some people are very against vaccines and they raise their puppies to manage the risk rather than vaccinate. Some of us only give two vaccines, and not until 10 weeks.

If however, they do it to save money, that's a red flag.

You said that much better than I did. It's not the fact that she didn't vaccinate, it's her excuse for not vaccinating that makes me suspicious.
 
...what they said! And considering it's a sheltie, it's very unfortunate that you would have to keep it away from other dogs/public places for so much longer. By the time the shots are done, that "window" of socialization will be long gone. This doesn't mean your dog can't be socialized-it just means it's probably going to take a lot more dedication, patience and time on your part to acclimate the dog to "scary" things and strange people/dogs.
 
Back
Top