NOw doesn't like to be groomed

Gingers Mom

Forums Enthusiast
Hi,

Last week Ginger had a case of loose stools (it seemed to be going around here on the forum) As a result she had lots of poopies stuck around her butt.
It took quite of bit of combing, detangling etc to get her cleaned up.

Now she when I start to comb or brush she is bearing teeth and seemingly wants to bite. Today I was just trying to comb and brush around her face, she looks straggly.

Before she didn't seem to mind grooming at all. What's the best way to get her re-acclimated to being groomed?

Thanks
 
Poor Ginger! Cheyenne had the poopies at our house, too. Each and every time I bathed her butt.... not a full bath, but enough to get her butt cleaned up. Then, I let her dry, and daddy would then brush her out; maybe she just didn't like the fur pulling. I'd say let it go a day or so and try again. Always reward; have a treat ready and big praise. A little brush, a bite of treat. Work your way back and hopefully she'll be fine!
 
Slowly with treats and praise !

Take it slow and assure her it's OK. Then when all is well be sure to shave in the poop chute!:lol: Take the electric trimmers and go straight down from butt down. Slight trim on any leg hair sticking out.:rolleyes2:
 
This may sound far-fetched but it works for me. Spencer's usually pretty good about grooming, nail clipping, etc. But every so often I found he just didn't want to be around when the grooming basket came out. So I got out a brush that I use for the cats. I call it the "gentle" brush and he's learned that it really feels good and doesn't pull at all. So I always show him the "gentle brush" when it's time to start the grooming ritual and he literally comes running. A minute or so with that brush and then I switch to the real stuff and we get down to business. By the way, when I first started doing his nails, I would soft muzzle him because he hated it so much. Now, it's just part of the routine and he lies still while I clip. We've come a long way.
Of course, the treat, praise, careful grooming suggestions probably make more sense.
 
Go slow, and gradually bring back the grooming tools! Light brushing to start. You might even just bring out the grooming basket and put it beside you and pup and treat her for just sitting with you. Then gradually work on bringing out each implement of "torture"! :wink2:

In future, one of the best advice I ever got from this forum for dealing with poopy bums (yes, I had the issue this week as well) was using baby wipes.

It makes a quick clean very easy - without having to deal with detangling and pulling on the fur later.

Even after some of it had dried on, when I groomed the boys last night, I brought out the wipes again. It softened the leftover "bits" so they were easy to brush out.
 
I agree with what everyone says, just start slow. When he bares his teeth firmly discourage it but don't be harsh, and gently brush in areas that aren't sensitive. Give lots of praise and treats when he's being good so that he starts to associate brushing with praise and treats instead of pulling and pain.

Have you ever considered using baby wipes instead of butt bathing every time? When Sadie was having bowel problems (for almost 6 months!) baby wipes helped me keep my sanity :smile2:
 
Back
Top