OK fess up, what are your Sheltie's quirks?

Sharon7

Moderator
So, all of our lifetime 7 Shelties have had some quirks, but almost ALL have this quirk: refusal to drink water at someone else's house. If we go to our Collie rescue friend's house, we even bring our own bowl, but no dice. They will eat their meals, sure, but drink? No way. Then they run for the water bowl when we get home. Say what???? I sure don't get it! Same scenario at other friend's homes, also.

We have a Gulpy water dish we use on walks or trips to the beach, but they won't even drink out of that at someone's house. :confused2:

So, fess up, what odd quirks do you all see in your pups?
 
So again so I don't break the internet I will only post one. Spitfire has to face south on the grooming table. Put him up the other way and he turns around. Try to stop him....good luck he turns around. Makes brushing the other side harder.

Sca: finish his bowl and take one drink. Then lick the food bowl. Take another drink lick the food bowl.

Angus: Pretty quirk free but he never did get focus. Smart just a party hound with anything being important for a short time.

Ian: My first spinner, so far counterclockwise
 
:yuckyuck :lol: OK Glenn with a reply like that you need to name at least one or two!!! :winkgrin:

Olay. I will share five with you.

Willow will only let me carry the stainless steel tray we use every Saturday morning to pile our pancakes on in the oven. If my wife tries to bring it to the kitchen, Willow goes wild, barking and jumping and generally carrying on like the sky is falling.

Every other morning as soon as her morning walk is done and we try to prepare berries for our oatmeal Willow demands we play her chase game. She takes one of her stuffed animals and rams it into our legs from behind. She keeps going until one of us gives in and chases her while she carries her plush toy. The chase is performed at a slow walk. If you don't catch up, she just keeps looking behind until someone comes close and then she accelerates away. Eventually she allows herself to be caught.

Willow likes to bark at, and jump up on, the wheeled bins for garbage and recycling but only ours unless somebody's bins are being wheeled back to their houses then she goes a little crazy. So, ours anytime she sees them, everybody else only if they are in motion.

She barks at school busses but not at the city busses. Why? Who knows perhaps she just doesn't like yellow.

Basketballs drive her crazy and she barks at every single moving basketball and the kids on my street are convinced she's barking at them. She has a basketball in her toy box that she ignores completely.

Shelties, what can you say, they are different. :)
 
Three of Teddy s Quirks:
1. If you're dressed as a tradesman it's his duty to bark at you.If dressed normally no bark. (This one is sorta normal).

2. When getting ready to go for a walk. If my wife gets his harness the chase is on all through the house reminds me of the game " Catch me if you can". If I grab the harness.I say load up. He jumps onto my recliner and waits until his harness is on an I tell him he can get down. I trained him to do the recliner, it makes getting him ready easier with my disability..

3. If big bad mean cat (Cat is small and may weigh 8 lbs.) comes through. Teddy will go over to outside of my right leg.Crawl behind and end up between my legs and stay there unt the cat leaves. That seems to be what he thinks as his safe place. :)
 
These quirks of our dogs are funny to read!
My list is very long hahaha…I’ll start with a few of Blueberry’s. The stove: turn it on (it beeps) she barks and will come running into the kitchen from whatever room she’s in to bark at it. Open the oven door…bark. Hates HATES the dishwasher…if she sees me putting a dishwasher puck in it she will bark and try to attack it. Continues to bark as I turn the dishwasher on. I have a 2 step stool in the kitchen…when I pull that out to use she will bark at it and me as I go up it. Now of course all the dogs bark!
Are you seeing a theme here? lol
Of course the other 2 have too many to list but at the end of the day when I’m watching tv in bed and they’re asleep at the foot of the bed and everyone is quiet I forget all about their quirks and all is good in our world.
 
Waits patiently while we clean the table after a meal to go crazy when we use the garbage disposal.
Barks when we turn on the stove. (Just like Blueberry).
Barks when mother-in-law uses the shower, but not anyone else.
Hates garbage trucks with a passion. Monday is pick up day, garbage, trash, and recycle. Very noisy day!
 
Waits patiently while we clean the table after a meal to go crazy when we use the garbage disposal.
Barks when we turn on the stove. (Just like Blueberry).
Barks when mother-in-law uses the shower, but not anyone else.
Hates garbage trucks with a passion. Monday is pick up day, garbage, trash, and recycle. Very noisy day!
Hahahai have no idea what sets them off…Blueberry is by far the worst of the lot. I’m sure if I had a garbage disposal she’d bark at that too! I forgot she barks when she hears a spray bottle being used and will come running from a mile away! Also when she hears the tearing of a paper towel.
I think the dishwasher because I let her clean the dirty dishes :ROFLMAO:…after 2 years of allowing it’s too late! She runs to the kitchen when she sees I’m done eating! So happy to see I’m putting my plate in the dishwasher for her:ROFLMAO:. One time my brother in law was over and he went to shoo her out…I’m like nooooo…that’s her job:lol::lol::lol:
 
Back
Top