one good turn

Strider

Forums Enthusiast
Hey folks!
Someone mentioned that they would like to see what training looks like for flyball, well this is how we are doing it! Hehe..

Darby: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j2Mkj2-tIY

Deja: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9i8SLet8pc
 
That was really cool to see! I love that you are able to practice in your home.

Looks like they are going to do great!
 
That was really cool to see! I love that you are able to practice in your home.

Looks like they are going to do great!

I can't wait for breakup to get done. The back yard is melting atm so we have puddles of mud in the snow. Once it dry, we'll move it outside. Until then we have the living room set up as a practice area hehe..
 
Looks like fun. Too bad there's no flyball teams in my area.

Darby is fast. A little spitfire.

You could start a team! Ok, that would be rough if you aren't an expert in training and the gear is expensive. I was pricing some of the electronics. $3,500.00!!

Our team doesn't have all the equipment yet. We rely on the hosting team. I;m going to build a pass evaluator to help with practise.

Darby is amazing for his size. His intensity is unmatched!!
 
oh wow, i see how you set up last hurdle so that they jump against the 'box'
I love how Darby just can't stand it when he is NOT the one running for the ball!!
lol
 
You could start a team! Ok, that would be rough if you aren't an expert in training and the gear is expensive. I was pricing some of the electronics. $3,500.00!!

Our team doesn't have all the equipment yet. We rely on the hosting team. I;m going to build a pass evaluator to help with practise.

Darby is amazing for his size. His intensity is unmatched!!

I actually found a team that is close by in New Jersey. I just emailed them. My only problem is I work late, so I can only practice on weekends.
 
Darby has great turns, and Deja looks like she loves the ball.

That's an interesting way you teach the turn - by moving the ball across, I will have to try it. Tully's turns are pretty crappy, she keeps changing directions I think so she can watch the dog in the other lane, but it means she often just slams the box. On my practice box I just put velcro on the board so I can stick the tennis ball on (dont have another person for boxloading).

Tully started competing with only a few months training because a height dog died and they needed a replacement quickly, she was pretty fast and doing clean runs. She was still scared of the ball popping out when she started competing! I am sure we could shave off half a second if her turns were better. You have inspired me to get the old practice board out and do some turning practice before our next comp (gets hard juggling agility and flyball practice).

Have you learnt any tactics for getting faster returns? Thats what I have been focusing on lately. But nothing is a bigger reward than the ball in her mouth and she doesnt care if I run away.
 
One of my team mates was talking to us about 'loading' the tug.. We have a tug toy that has a ball built into it. Spend some time just playing with the dog to make that tug his/her FAVORITE toy. You'll want to be so excited when you pull the tug out.. hop, jump, play with the tug.. every time you pull it out go crazy!! Let your dog know that when that tug comes out, the party is ON!

Once you have the pup dancing with you, use the tug to 'snap' off the box and run away.

Darby loves his tug. He will do anything for it. Deja could have cared less about the tug, she wanted treats. By playing with her with a tug, I can get her pretty ramped up now. Will this translate into faster returns later? I'm hoping! Hehe
 
Darby has great turns, and Deja looks like she loves the ball.

That's an interesting way you teach the turn - by moving the ball across, I will have to try it. Tully's turns are pretty crappy, she keeps changing directions I think so she can watch the dog in the other lane, but it means she often just slams the box. On my practice box I just put velcro on the board so I can stick the tennis ball on (dont have another person for boxloading).

Tully started competing with only a few months training because a height dog died and they needed a replacement quickly, she was pretty fast and doing clean runs. She was still scared of the ball popping out when she started competing! I am sure we could shave off half a second if her turns were better. You have inspired me to get the old practice board out and do some turning practice before our next comp (gets hard juggling agility and flyball practice).

Have you learnt any tactics for getting faster returns? Thats what I have been focusing on lately. But nothing is a bigger reward than the ball in her mouth and she doesnt care if I run away.
One thing you might try with the box turn is to use barriers to force access to the box on just one side. We have the balls with velcro but we haven't moved to them yet. I want to get their turns solid to the point that they don't need the divider first.
 
Back
Top