Origins canine supplement

ghggp

Moderator
I saw this on a news program this morning...
FA110B87-0495-44E6-8AD0-4B752AAD6895.png
I was reading the reviews and was quite impressed! Helps with allergies, joint support, and digestive issues! Has anyone here tried it on their dogs? As it has been freezing the last few days here so the fungus is dead on the grass. Liam has been off Benadryl and not itchy at all. Maybe I will try it for next year. Thoughts?
 
I have been using Vibrant Pets supplement (Joint and Muscle) for years on Chris's recommendation, and have been pleased with it. They also make a Skin and Coat formula. Have not heard of the Origins brand but it might be worth a try. I like the VP because it is made in America with human food grade ingredients and is a small company.
 
Always read the ingredients. I wouldn't use it. Although Enterococci faeecum can be found in GI tracts an overgrowth can be dangerous and I cannot find any research indicating a safe dose as a supplement. It's also considered an infectious agent so would be careful about handling it. I see one of the creaters is a body builder and I'm not sure I'd trust a body builder, they aren't known for playing it safe.

PATHOGENICITY/TOXICITY: Enterococci can cause urinary tract, wound, and soft tissue infections(2,4). They are also associated with bacteremia which can lead to endocarditis in previously damaged cardiac valves(4).
 
Always read the ingredients. I wouldn't use it. Although Enterococci faeecum can be found in GI tracts an overgrowth can be dangerous and I cannot find any research indicating a safe dose as a supplement. It's also considered an infectious agent so would be careful about handling it. I see one of the creaters is a body builder and I'm not sure I'd trust a body builder, they aren't known for playing it safe.

PATHOGENICITY/TOXICITY: Enterococci can cause urinary tract, wound, and soft tissue infections(2,4). They are also associated with bacteremia which can lead to endocarditis in previously damaged cardiac valves(4).
Thanks for that bit of info Caro...I had no idea! Fortunately I do feed raw so I don't have to worry as much about this additive but I do buy dog treats.
I read up on it and found this added information...I agree, make sure this isn't in your dog food as well.
https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/forums/topic/enterococcus-faecium/
 
Thanks for that bit of info Caro...I had no idea! Fortunately I do feed raw so I don't have to worry as much about this additive but I do buy dog treats.
I read up on it and found this added information...I agree, make sure this isn't in your dog food as well.
https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/forums/topic/enterococcus-faecium/

Sometimes it's handy having a dog with IBD - all the things I've learnt about canine bacteria and what not to feed! You can thank Tully for that one.
 
Last edited:
so is there a difference between Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product and Enterococcus faecium?
I was under the impression that fermentation product was not the active bacteria?

I also checked the VP ingredients and all the formulas contain Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product
 
Back
Top