Our First Title - AKC Jumpers

take4roll10

Moderator
We received our first AKC agility title yesterday. We Q'd in Novice A Jumpers. :biggrin2:

It took 4 attempts... not too bad for both our first time. The first two Q's were clean, score of 100 and first place (although there was only 1 other Novice A dog :wink2:).

Our third attempt, I took my eyes off Bailey and thought she missed a jump. I stopped and was about to bring her around to do the jump and then changed my mind because I couldn't remember if she took the jump or not. This confused Bailey and she took the jump backwards. Turns out she did take the jump correctly, which I would've known if I watched or trusted her and continued. So due to handler error... NQ

Yesterday, Bailey was great. Nice, smooth course. She had one refusal. I FC in between two jumps because in the direction of one jump was a tunnel. I thought that if I didn't get there in time or was late on my signals, Bailey would take the tunnel. The FC prevented her from doing that, but made her land awkwardly and she started to go around the next jump. I managed to get back to me and take the jump correctly. Yay! So score of 95, first place and our first title.

We don't have any Q's in novice standard yet. We did run twice at a trial. It was drizzling at our first trial. Bailey slipped on the teeter and jumped off before it hit the ground. Other than that she was good. The second trial, she took the dogwalk instead of the tunnel underneath it.

We still have a trial next weekend and another one in November and then we are probably done with trialing until the spring :(.

I only enter one day at trials and won't travel more than an hour, so we're going to be slow at getting titles, but that's okay. I would love to have one Q in Nov standard by the end of the year. Open Jumpers is going to be a little tough for us. I'll definitely find out what we need to work on. Full set of weaves now, scary!

Sorry, I didn't get a video, but here's a picture of her with her ribbons:
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/take4roll10/NAJTitle.jpg

And here's videos of our first two Q's:
http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/take4roll10/?action=view&current=VID00030.mp4 (it was our first run ever and she was a little slow. She has definitely picked up speed since then, especially with weaves)

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/take4roll10/?action=view&current=novjww61512lowres.mp4

Question for AKC competitors, do I have to move up to Standard Nov B or do I still stay in Standard Nov A? Also, do I immediately move up to Open in my next trial (in 2 weeks) or do I have to wait for something official from AKC before up? Thanks!
 
Last edited:
YAYYYYYY
Congratulations, Ms Bailey, what a superstar!
You should be very proud, so happy to see the Princess happy and gorgeous as always:biggrin2: this time with Ribbons!
 
YAY Bailey & Randi!

That is awesome. I know you wanted that standard Q, but it sounds like you guys are really close.

Congratulations again on her title.
 
Congrats! She looks so proud on her ribbon pict :yes:.

I will be sending you good thoughts next weekend for your trial. :fl
 
Thanks everyone!

I also forgot to mention that we got our 2nd official measurement and it was 13 1/2. I'm so happy she measured below 14'', so we officially jump 12 inch bars.
 
Title

Question for AKC competitors, do I have to move up to Standard Nov B or do I still stay in Standard Nov A? Also, do I immediately move up to Open in my next trial (in 2 weeks) or do I have to wait for something official from AKC before up? Thanks!

Woo Hoo Randi and Bailey!!!Congrats to you both!!To answer your question you will move into Open JWW with Bailey.You can stay in Novice A if you don't want to move up for practice but I say go right into Open.You will get from AKC in 2 weeks or more her Novice A JWW title.If you haven't
any Q's in Standard then you stay in Novice A.Novice B is for people who have shown in AKC before and have put titles on dogs and Novice A is for people who have never competed in AKC.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Woo Hoo Randi and Bailey!!!Congrats to you both!!To answer your question you will move into Open JWW with Bailey.You can stay in Novice A if you don't want to move up for practice but I say go right into Open.You will get from AKC in 2 weeks or more her Novice A JWW title.If you haven't
any Q's in Standard then you stay in Novice A.Novice B is for people who have shown in AKC before and have put titles on dogs and Novice A is for people who have never competed in AKC.

Thank you!

I downloaded the AKC regulations and I think it works like this... if you haven't titled a dog in AKC, you start in Novice A. When you get a title in a class (JWW or STD), you can switch to Novice B or move up to Open in that class.

If you get your Novice A title in JWW, but not in Standard yet, you still have to switch to Standard Novice B, because you now have a title.

I'll double check with my trainer, but that's what it seems like to me.
 
Question for AKC competitors, do I have to move up to Standard Nov B or do I still stay in Standard Nov A? Also, do I immediately move up to Open in my next trial (in 2 weeks) or do I have to wait for something official from AKC before up? Thanks!

Nice job. Bailey looked really good.:smile2:

Since Bailey and you now have an agility title you need to move to Novice B Standard for your next trial.



Chapter 2 Section 1 regular titling classes:

Division B is for dogs that have acquired the Novice Agility Standard title, or the Novice Jumpers With Weaves title, or for persons who have handled a dog to any AKC agility title.....A dog may continue to be shown in the Novice B class until they have acquired a qualifying score towards their Open title

You can stay in Novice B JWW until you get your first Q in Open and then you can not go back.
 
Back
Top