Our Sheltie has become a really fussy eater

FWIW Oberon's around 30 lbs. According to our vet he's a little overweight, but not much - we can feel his ribs, but you have to exert a slight bit of pressure to do so. I can't get a height on him, but he's definitely on the large size. We feed him between 1/3 and 1/2 cup of Fromm's 2X a day and he gets 2-3 treats at night, plus about 1/4 of people food throughout the day, mostly fruits and vegetables.
 
I think shelties have very variable metabolisms. My two are both around 12 pounds - and eat 9 oz of raw each per day, plus a bowl of vegetables for the puppy - the older girl won't touch vegetables with a ten foot pole (which seems like a ridiculously high amount - most dogs three times their size do not eat that much).
 
Bob, I understand your frustration over his not eating at all and the worry it causes. I've been through it so I know how you feel. If he doesn't pick up while you're away and he's at the kennel, I would certainly discuss the situation with your vet and see what he recommends. The only thing I would suggest as a stop-gap is to try mixing some low-sodium chicken broth with a small amount of his food and see if that helps. Please keep us posted when you can.
 
We picked up Lucky from the boarding kennel where he stayed for the last 7 days. They said he did eat very slowly, but did eventually finish most of his food. He still comes across as a very picky eater though. I brought him home, he was happy to see us, and happy to return to his familiar home. My wife fed him his 1/2 cup of Fromm, and mixed a scrambled egg into the food to try encouraging a better eating habit. He ate it ALL...I'm sure the egg was the reason he ate so well. So I wonder if cooked eggs are ok for him used like we did today? I know my wife will try the egg routine again so we better find out if this is a beneficial step forward.
Thanks

Bob
 
Have any of you tried this?

100000001002313651_10204[1].jpg
It's like vitamin "milk" for dogs but I've never seen it outside Japan. The breeder I got Sansa from (specializing in sheltie/rough collies) swears by it and was mixing it in with the kibble and topping it with a small portion of canned food. Recently Sansa became picky again and I decided to give this a try...she literally cleans the bowl when this is mixed in with the kibble.
 
So I wonder if cooked eggs are ok for him used like we did today? I know my wife will try the egg routine again so we better find out if this is a beneficial step forward.
Thanks

Bob

Eggs are fine for Lucky...they're protein. You don't want to overdo it but you can certainly scramble an egg a day and add half to each meal if it helps him eat. You can also try adding something like pure canned pumpkin....it's great for dogs and adds both nutrition and fiber. They love it. Glad Lucky's appetite is improving!
 
Eggs are fine for Lucky...they're protein. You don't want to overdo it but you can certainly scramble an egg a day and add half to each meal if it helps him eat. You can also try adding something like pure canned pumpkin....it's great for dogs and adds both nutrition and fiber. They love it. Glad Lucky's appetite is improving!

Well one successful meal followed by a return to leaving his morning meal uneaten, and with some scrambled egg in it too. He does eat doggy snacks readily however.
In trying to figure all this out we are starting to wonder if the Bordatella treatment he got prior to boarding may have caused this food fussiness. They gave him the nasal treatment and my wife says she thinks the vet tech said it may affect his appetite...but not sure on that. Well what if it is affecting it...how long can that last? I think I will call them and ask that question.

Follow-up....we have appointment with the Vet for Thursday afternoon. They asked for a stool sample and lets hope there is a solution coming.

Bob
 
Last edited:
How very frustrating. Honestly (not to make you feel bad) every Sheltie I've ever known is a voracious eater - they would eat anything until they popped if given the opportunity. Hope the vet can shed some light on this for you. My vet now goes with the oral Bordatella instead of nasal, BTW.
 
Well the Vet checked Lucky in all manners possible, he sent blood sample out for complete testing of everything possible. His stool tested ok. The vet described Lucky as a very healthy almost athletically structured sheltie...in other words pending blood test results, he is fine...and he said finicky eating is not an uncommon issue, and perhaps we should try home cooking to add to his Fromm...and so far he is very responsive to my wife's version of doggie stew...some beef, some carrots, some pasta and the broth added to a fist full of Fromm to equal about 1/2 cup in total...he eats this with complete enjoyment...we are so happy he does too....:).

So that may be the end of this dilemma...will update in a few days.

Thanks all.

Bob
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ann
That's good news, Bob -- both the vet report and that he's eating your "stew." For what it's worth, every Sheltie I've had that has gone through this does get over it. One day they just eat. Go figure. I think they do it to keep us on our toes...... :wacky:
 
Back
Top