Pacemaker for Sick Sinus

Dave B

Forums Novice
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has experience with Sick Sinus Syndrome in their sheltie and treating it with a pacemaker. My 12 year old, Talley, is set to have the procedure this week. From what I've been able to tell and from what the vet has said, it's fairly rare in shelties, but if there was one place to find some real experiences with this it might be here. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
 
Hi Dave and welcome to the forum.

I have no actual first hand experience with this syndrome, but I do know that prognosis is typically very good with a pacemaker implant. I wish you the very best for your little one.

Trini
 
Hello Dave, welcome to Sheltie Nation to you and Talley. My comments are the same as Trini. I just wanted to say good luck for your girl and I will keep Talley in my thoughts and prayers as you move forward with her treatment. I wish a steady hand for your surgeon and a quick, complete recovery for your fur baby. Please keep us posted.
 
Thank you both. The surgery date is coming up quick. As simple as some of these things are, it's still a little nerve wracking so I appreciate the support.
 
Thank you both. The surgery date is coming up quick. As simple as some of these things are, it's still a little nerve wracking so I appreciate the support.

Dave, any surgery we put a little one through is always a tough call to make emotionally and we always hope we make the right decision. Everything I have read or heard about the upcoming surgery for your little one has been very positive. Please let us know how it goes...and, again, my best wishes for a successful surgery and aftermath for Talley.

Trini
 
I have no experience in dogs with this, but it works great in my human patients to resolve symptomatic bradycardia for any reason.....
 
my Suzi had it done in May of 2012, and it totally made a big difference!
I think the hardest part after the surgery was keeping her calm and resting. that was about a 6 week ( I think) so that the implant did not shift.
my vet did not do the surgery, Suzi went to U of W (Seattle) to have it done by a specialist.
I wish you both well.
 
Thanks everyone for the replies. Everything sounds encouraging. Heading to the specialist on Thursday for the procedure. I'll update soon.
 
Procedure went well

Happy to let you all know Talley's surgery went well. Everything was very routine and now she's on day 2 of resting. If everything stays on track she'll be back to 100% in after a few weeks of recovery.
 
Happy to let you all know Talley's surgery went well. Everything was very routine and now she's on day 2 of resting. If everything stays on track she'll be back to 100% in after a few weeks of recovery.

That's wonderful news!!!!! What a relief to have it over with and Talley on the mend. WTG Talley! :smile2:

Trini
 
Back
Top