Parvo

Smudge

Forums Sage
There is a girl who I work with...and her puppy has parvo.

:uhoh:

I'm very upset about this. One, because her dog only has a 50% chance to live. Secondly, because we always work together and my dog has a weak immune system. Smudge had a parvo shot in July. Is there anything else I can do to help make sure he doesn't get this?

I've never been to her house or anything, but it just freaks me out. I do hope her puppy gets well. What a terrible time of year for this to happen to her! :(:cry:

Something else interesting, too. She goes to the vet I hate. She said they were collecting a stool sample to see what was wrong, and the vet stopped in the middle, whipped out her cell, and began texting. I am so glad I'm away from that place! She said she would have taken her dog to another vet, but she couldn't get in quick enough.
 
I'm sorry about your friend's dog. I hope he is a fighter and can recover. Parvo is such a scary disease. It really scares me when people bring their 8 week old puppies to the dog park and pet stores. They don't seem to care when I tell them that they shouldn't walk their dog until it has all their shots...

...anyway, I always thought a dog can catch parvo from another dogs feces. So unless your friend has stepped in her dog's poop and then you step in it and Smudge sniff or licks your shoe, I don't think you have much to worry about. Plus, Smudge has his vaccine.

I think Smudge's odds are pretty slim, but I completely understand your concern.
 
I don't understand why people bring young puppies around either. I've never thought it was a good idea. You never know what another dog has, and they always sniff each other.

I've never been to her house. I only know her from work. I guess after today I will start using Lysol on the bottom of my shoes just in case.

I don't really know a lot about parvo, but her puppy has already been in the vet's for two days. She said she had spent $300 already. I feel so bad for her. :( We work together, and so I know she doesn't make much money. With it being Christmas I am sure she was even more strapped for cash.

I'm still in shock over the whole texting thing. These were the same people who told me it was my fault Smudge was stressed out. :mad:
 
You worry and get stressed Smudge is a fine looking relaxed character :razz: Just kidding I think you are doing everything you need already, you could leave the work shoes somewhere Smudge is not at but pause and think a second.

She would have to step in his poo that is infected
She would have to not clean her shoe completely
She would then have to have 'leftover' come off and work
You would have to track into the same place and pick it up
You would have to not wear it off your shoe due to natural walking around while at work
The concentration would have to be high enough to infect Smudge

The odds of that are extremely tiny in my opinion and then you add it Smudge's vaccine. Good Mom of Smudge for going into protect mode but this one is a false alarm in my opinion. Now go give Smudge a pet and pull his tail :winkgrin:
 
Tails are the handiest dandiest things, but McKinley was muttering something yesterday about getting a clause in the S.U.B.U. contract about indignation of a dog's pride and joy............

Sheepo'Blue's statements about parvo are true.

Anyway, Jess, I really think you are safe. I understand your concern, I do, because I am protective too, but I have learned this: with dogs as with children, you have to remember you can only protect them to the best of your ability, and human abilities are limited. You have to say to yourself at the end of every day, "I am doing the best I can with the knowledge, time and resources that I have today." When I lost Cleveland, I beat myself for a time, but then I remembered that I served the little guy the best I could. And I serve McKinley better for the knowledge I have gained.

(Sorry if that was a soapbox speech:sleepy::rolleyes2:)

Spray your shoes if it makes you feel better and leave them outside away from Smudge and remember, "You are trying to be a good and conscientious fur-friend to Smudge."
 
Last edited:
I was told that parvo has been on the rise and that its becoming more resilient.

We had a scare when Ginny was young and thought the pups had somehow contract Parvo. We were told that while it comes from dog feces, it can live in grass and on your clothes (most likely pant legs) for 1-2 weeks.

Smudge should be fine since he's been vaccinated, but as an extra precaution I'd be sure to keep your work clothes, especially shoes away from him and take them off and keep them secluded till you can wash them (like in a plastic bag).
 
I was told that parvo has been on the rise and that its becoming more resilient.

I tend to agree with you, because this is the second parvo case I've heard about since I got Smudge. :uhoh: If two people I work with have had dogs with parvo it does make me wonder.

I'm glad the vet gave him that shot. :biggrin2: Usually they don't push products or treatment on people, but when I went in that day (for a rabies shot) they told me they were giving him a parvo shot.

Wasn't there a post on the forum a while back where somebody's sheltie had it? :confused2:
 
I tend to agree with you, because this is the second parvo case I've heard about since I got Smudge. :uhoh: If two people I work with have had dogs with parvo it does make me wonder.

I'm glad the vet gave him that shot. :biggrin2: Usually they don't push products or treatment on people, but when I went in that day (for a rabies shot) they told me they were giving him a parvo shot.

Wasn't there a post on the forum a while back where somebody's sheltie had it? :confused2:

Yes...and the dear puppy died. I agree: Smudge isn't in danger because you've been vigilant!!
 
I've never been to her house. I only know her from work. I guess after today I will start using Lysol on the bottom of my shoes just in case.

Skip the Lysol, it doesn't kill parvo.
You need some kind of bleach based disinfectant (just bleach or a commercial formulation like Clidox) or Vikron S which is much gentler on fabric (we had two sets kittens with feline parvo so we spent a lot of time disinfecting in between and after them).

It probably isn't a problem unless you go to her house, otherwise there would be a lot more sick animals.
 
Back
Top