Pepper was attacked!!

JessicaR

Forums Enthusiast
My oldest sheltie Pepper was attacked today by my other sheltie Skyler :mad: I dont understand why he did it. She just walked by and he attcked, then Belle joined in on the attack. Both Pepper and Skyler have been fixed there was no food or toys nearby I dont understand why he did it. I know why Belle joined in she is intact and has tried a couple of times to take over as alpha female (no fights just posturing) Pepper had to get a couple of stitches and is now limping. I dont normaly crate the older dogs but now I guess I am going to have to.

Also Dusty is now acting weird he keeps whinning, circling, and sniffing Pepper :confused2: I dont know why he is doing it. He was not near them when they fought he was outside.
 
I'm so sorry that Pepper was injured. Dusty is probably acting strangely towards her as she "smells funny" after going to the vet and getting stitches. Every time one of mine goes to the vet the others have to circle and sniff them (a lot) when they get home.

As to what caused the initial attack...you may never know.
 
Gosh I am sorry to hear that

Sorry to hear that Pepper was attacked.It can happen very quickly,and some times just out of the blue.I had a simalar situation here with two females & Earnhardt.Both females were spayed,and Earnhardt is neutered.These two females would get along together 95% of the time...then out of the blue,Kasey(lab) would just take right after the other female.I remember one time,I was outside watering flowers out back,and she just took after Danni,and put her to the ground.She had her by the throat,I thought she was going to kill her.But they had been just fine moments before.I took the water hose to both of them,to startle them out of the behavior.On they went... like nothing happened.I'm sure it had something to do with the fact,that Kasey was the eldest female,and she figured Earnhardt was all hers.
I sure hope that Pepper will be ok.
 
Poor Pepper!! That's so bizarre that she was attacked like out of the blue. Pepper's not relatively new in the household, is she? Poor thing. All she needs now is some tender, loving care and she'll be good as new. It's probably a good idea for you to keep them crated and separated for now. Good luck!! Keep us updated about how Pepper is doing.
 
So sorry to hear this, Jessica. How terrible and frightening, for you and for Pepper. I have no idea what would set this off. Maybe some of our other members might have some advice. For the time being though, I think I would certainly keep them separated.
 
I had 3 shelties at the same time--an older female, a medium aged male, & a young female. The older female was the alpha dog, and the boy had no trouble with who was the boss, as long as it wasn't him. After a while the younger female wanted to be alpha over the older female. The older female had been with me the longest and knew exactly how I wanted things done and I was closest to the older female. I always made sure the older female got the first attention, got her meal first, and was allowed her way over the rest of the dogs. Eventually, the younger female got the idea, that the older female was in charge after me, and I didn't have any more problems. When the older female died, the younger female got to be the boss. You are the alpha, so it is up to you to let them know where they rank. I don't know if this will help, but I hope so. So sorry that poor Pepper was hurt.
 
Poor Pepper. Hope she is okay - mentally as well. That is really unusual for a male to attack a female. That is such a shame to have to seperate the dogs but I guess its better play it safe.
 
Poor Pepper. Hope she is okay - mentally as well. That is really unusual for a male to attack a female. That is such a shame to have to seperate the dogs but I guess its better play it safe.

Oh Jessica I am so sorry too, like Caro said that is so unusual. Hopefully Pepper, your back to being fine all the way around ASAP.
 
OH how awful for poor Pepper! I hope she will be ok, physically and mentally. That is strange. I hope it does not happen again.
 
Poor Pepper! She must have been terrified. I agree with Granite. Dusty probably is picking up the smells from the vets office my dogs always do. He also might be sensing that she is hurt and is upset. Dogs can be very intuitive
at times.
 
Back
Top