Performance dog owners - need your puppy pics

Caro

Moderator
I'm kind of on the look out for a puppy. As I've had dogs with arthritis (Mr D and his elbows, Tully and her hip, and now elbows) I really, really want to focus on structure, seeing as I plan to go back to dog sports.

I've got lots of books on dog structure, but the pictures are invariably of short coated dogs and adults. I need to get an eye for evaluating puppies and the only way I'll do that is by looking at pics. So hoping those with performance dogs in active sports like agility, flyball, herding, may have side or front puppy pics that I could look at.
 
do you have an age range in weeks that you want to see?
I don't have many pix of Dixie as a little puppy but Cran had a lot of pix as a puppy- not sure how many are in side/front orientation.
not many pix of Jocu as a little guy until I got him at 8 weeks but Destin- I have puppy pix of him almost every week.....
and most of their pix are on Shutterfly but the breeder pix of Destin aren't there as I never uploaded them.
 
Sca was kind of bad on structure as he was to long. I do think one thing is important and many may disagree. I say ZERO repetitive training before age 1. No box turns, no jumps. In my non-vet opinion no doing that benefits in the long run.

Oh and while spitfire would have been a super flyball dog the picture would not show his brain....that was the lacking factor.
 
I guess before they get full coat, so under 6mths months. Under 3 months would be ideal.

I was at a dog show today and there was an interstate breeder that had some dogs with a pretty nice front reach, a show a few weeks ago was another kennel from the same state who had some dogs with really big reach. I've noticed most dogs where I live have a short reach, or maybe it's the way they are handled I'm not sure. Also want to see what decent elbows look like. Length of back, shape of rear carriage, neck and shoulders, width of front chest. I think they are the main things?

I agree, long is definitely not good. Mr D was long and I think that puts too much pressure on the joints. Deska was extremely fast on the flat but not so great with jumps. But then Tully was possibly a little too short in the body.

We don't have any performance training here before 1yr old, just obedience. But there won't be any long, long hikes like I used to do with Mr D. Although that said, he was born with dysplasia and his joints did outlive him. He was still chasing bicycles until he got sick.
 
Okay, for starters, here is Elise.

14 weeks
14.5 weeks (2 of them)
20 weeks
7 months (2 of them)

In terms of evaluation, she has a really nice length of neck and beautiful topline. Strong rear and very balanced. Front is nicely set--still waiting on chest to come in. She's a little light on bone for the show ring, but that is my preference for agility. She has a slightly longer hock than desirable and she's a little easty-westy, but that's preferable at a young age as it will correct as her chest fills in.
 

Attachments

  • 32253792_10106490708629797_8586915358839930880_n.jpg
    32253792_10106490708629797_8586915358839930880_n.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 32257793_10106490716608807_6432453467020722176_n.jpg
    32257793_10106490716608807_6432453467020722176_n.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 32260567_10106490708769517_1919430002797969408_n.jpg
    32260567_10106490708769517_1919430002797969408_n.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 35126896_10106626158886397_8703121024792657920_n.jpg
    35126896_10106626158886397_8703121024792657920_n.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 41313740_10106841166374667_8780598481011081216_o.jpg
    41313740_10106841166374667_8780598481011081216_o.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 41332466_10106841169328747_1538152136590753792_o.jpg
    41332466_10106841169328747_1538152136590753792_o.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 9
Enzo

8 weeks (x2)
14 weeks
20 weeks (x2)
7 months
3 years

I don't have as many stacked photos, but more motion shots of him. You can see that he had depth of chest and incredible reach at a very young age. He is the fastest sheltie in terms of ground speed that I've ever seen. He runs very low to the ground. It's interesting as he has a stunning front, but it wasn't really visible in him as a puppy (you can see it clearly in the 7 month and 3 year photos). Cons are that he's short for a male (under 15") and again, light on bone.
 

Attachments

  • 10330258_10102248532025717_3479462011750171612_n.jpg
    10330258_10102248532025717_3479462011750171612_n.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 10320941_10102248586371807_8100941950510303249_o.jpg
    10320941_10102248586371807_8100941950510303249_o.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 1669707_10102350118455697_1632793616299277101_o.jpg
    1669707_10102350118455697_1632793616299277101_o.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 10403789_10102448703595287_2779361972350259211_o.jpg
    10403789_10102448703595287_2779361972350259211_o.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 10498551_10102448703340797_3935722656208948492_o.jpg
    10498551_10102448703340797_3935722656208948492_o.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 7
  • 10733744_10102610222709687_311943537195895945_o.jpg
    10733744_10102610222709687_311943537195895945_o.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 8
  • 11163279_10103853037439007_1578851485172918022_o.jpg
    11163279_10103853037439007_1578851485172918022_o.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top