Peroneal Hernia in 6-3/4 year sheltie, having surgery today

dream2012

Forums Regular
Have any of your dogs had a peroneal hernia? Jax has had trouble defecating for several months, but would always have at least one BM per day. Of late, he has been straining harder without luck, we walk a few steps, squats, nothing. His mood and temperament has not changed, has been in good spirits, eats well and has high energy. The red flag was when he refused food recently and no bm for two days. I immediately had him checked by our vet. I requested an x-ray, thinking there might be a blockage. He thought he could have worms. I said I was doubtful for several reasons. Hasn't had worms since i brought him home from the breeder as a four month old pup. He prescribed Panacur, but didn't change the behavior.

Returned two weeks late and demanded an x-ray, x-ray showed impacted feces. He manually removed the feces and thought that was the problem. The x-ray did not show any blockage. Few days later, still straining to defecate, returned and thought might be his prostate, Cut to the chase, is having surgery today, as well as neutering since the vast majority of these peroneal hernias are intact males.

Would love to hear if anyone's sheltie has had this surgery and if it was successful, any recurrence? I am sitting here very concerned about the hernia surgery and the neutering at this age and potential complications. We opted not to neuter this sheltie after reading so many negatives and issues with neutering; unfortunately, this is common in unneutered dogs.

Jax is our fourth sheltie and the previous three were neutered and had wonderful dispositions; however, while Jax was a dream as a puppy, as he matured, he was, and still is, inconsistent with behavior around other dogs. He definitely has his favorites and dogs he would devour, given the chance! We never experienced this with our previous shelties so this has been a challenge for my husband and me. When we walk, i always cross the street if we see another dog to avoid any potential issues. He will bark and try to run after the dog. He also seems to be unliked by dogs who have never met him and they become aggressive with him (at a distance) and Jackson, many times will ignore them. We never know what to expect, so he is always on a short leash. So my question is, how likely is it that this aggression will change after neutering? I have read conflicting reports but nothing specific to the sheltie. Otherwise, he is a great dog, loyal, smart and loves to retrieve the ball for hours - honestly, he would rather fetch than eat sometimes!

We thought we were welcoming another wonderful, sweet Sheltie into our life, but it has turned into a challenging situation at times. There is not a human Jax doesn't love, and he shows it. He is all over people. Our previous Shelties got along with every dog. We never had to worry about avoiding other dogs. I would never put Jax in doggie daycare as many friends do. He is too erratic with his behavior. I might add, with each Sheltie, I learned so much about breeders, genetic testing of the sire and dam, etc. and choose this wonderful, responsible breeder, who does all the testing, and provides the new owner wiht a "book" of everything and proof from the tests, OFA certification results, VWD (and more) vet visits, etc. I know, being a mom, kids are different and not all dogs are going to share the temperament of the sire or dam. The take on their own personalities that I think are developed in utero!! :) I love this dog and he has so many good qualities, he is just so different that his predecessors and constantly keeps us on our toes. We always joke we are too old to have this highly active, Jekyll-hyde disposition.

Another concern is he shows some jealousy with our grandchildren and when they visit. Just the other day, he growled at one of them because they were too close to him while he was sitting next to me. THis really upset me and my job is to protect those grandchildren. Most of the times he tolerates the grands well, but with the holiday upon us, I am very concerned that this could happen again, or worse, he might snap at them.

Sorry for this long post, would appreciate any comments or thoughts on the surgery and the incident with his growling at our grandchild, who is two years old. Thank you, everyone, for reading this.
 
First of all, I'm sorry Jax is having surgery, and I have no experience with this particular surgery but usually hernia surgeries are pretty routine. I speak as a retired nurse. The neutering part, obviously is an easy external surgery and at his age he should recover quickly. You may or may not see a change in behavior, but it may change how he reacts to other dogs, and the fact that other dogs sometimes have quick negative reactions to him. My friend had an un-neutered male Lab that this happened to frequently. Other dogs just didn't like him and would sometimes go after him unprovoked.

I think a lot of the worry about dogs that are fixed gaining weight are just old wives tales. All of mine have been spayed and neutered and I've always kept them lean. When my beloved Brooke came to me as a retired show dog, she got spayed at 7 years of age and there was absolutely no change in her personality, although her coat did thin a bit.

As for the behavior part, I'm not a trainer, but I think you need to work on positive reinforcement for good behavior around other dogs. If he's reactive, he'll pick up on your discomfort, and the fact that you quickly move him away from other dogs may actually reinforce his idea that there's something to fear. If you can work to desensitize him with really yummy treats, distracting him from reacting (starting at a distance, working closer eventually) to other dogs it should help.

The growling when your grandchild approached and he was next to you is a form of resource guarding, with you being the resource. I'll let others weigh in on this since we don't have kids/grandkids so haven't worked with this issue.

Good luck. As you noted, although most of us have owned multiple Shelties over the years, all are different little personalities with their own ideas and quirks!
 
First of all, I'm sorry Jax is having surgery, and I have no experience with this particular surgery but usually hernia surgeries are pretty routine. I speak as a retired nurse. The neutering part, obviously is an easy external surgery and at his age he should recover quickly. You may or may not see a change in behavior, but it may change how he reacts to other dogs, and the fact that other dogs sometimes have quick negative reactions to him. My friend had an un-neutered male Lab that this happened to frequently. Other dogs just didn't like him and would sometimes go after him unprovoked.

I think a lot of the worry about dogs that are fixed gaining weight are just old wives tales. All of mine have been spayed and neutered and I've always kept them lean. When my beloved Brooke came to me as a retired show dog, she got spayed at 7 years of age and there was absolutely no change in her personality, although her coat did thin a bit.

As for the behavior part, I'm not a trainer, but I think you need to work on positive reinforcement for good behavior around other dogs. If he's reactive, he'll pick up on your discomfort, and the fact that you quickly move him away from other dogs may actually reinforce his idea that there's something to fear. If you can work to desensitize him with really yummy treats, distracting him from reacting (starting at a distance, working closer eventually) to other dogs it should help.

The growling when your grandchild approached and he was next to you is a form of resource guarding, with you being the resource. I'll let others weigh in on this since we don't have kids/grandkids so haven't worked with this issue.

Good luck. As you noted, although most of us have owned multiple Shelties over the years, all are different little personalities with their own ideas and quirks!

Thank you for your prompt reply, Sharon! Your shelties are beautiful! Appreciate your comment about the neutering.

As you suggested, I have used positive reinforcement on Jax since he was a puppy and I never leave the house without his favorite treats. this often works, other times it does not. It depends on how excited or aggressive he is. It is embarrassing, so I avoid getting close to many dogs not knowing if he will growl at them. It is so random at times because he will growl and snarl at a dog he has known and gets along with, for no apparent reason. I am really hoping to see a slight change in this aggressive behavior - I am cautiously optimistic! :)
 
I’m so sorry your boy needed surgery! That’s scary at any age! My mom had a dog that she had neutered at 9 and he did fine. I hope your boy came through good.
As to the behaviour changing after a neuter I think most would say it doesn’t but there may be slight changes. My middle boy Finnie (now almost 5) is my most anxious and neutering him did little to change his behaviour but my last female I had was a Cocker and she changed a LOT after. She developed Pyometra and had to be spayed…prior to her spay I had to muzzle her before doing nails and afterwards I was shocked when she allowed me to do it without the muzzle. It was like night and day so it is possible I think.
For his behaviour have you ever had him in an obedience class? Much like I’d practise stays outside of Walmart to get my dog used to working in a busy atmosphere it helps to work a dog around other dogs. A class where you do lots of heeling around the other dogs can help as well…allows you to correct the behaviour with the instructor there to help you.
Good luck and keep us posted on how the surgery went.
 
I’m so sorry your boy needed surgery! That’s scary at any age! My mom had a dog that she had neutered at 9 and he did fine. I hope your boy came through good.
As to the behaviour changing after a neuter I think most would say it doesn’t but there may be slight changes. My middle boy Finnie (now almost 5) is my most anxious and neutering him did little to change his behaviour but my last female I had was a Cocker and she changed a LOT after. She developed Pyometra and had to be spayed…prior to her spay I had to muzzle her before doing nails and afterwards I was shocked when she allowed me to do it without the muzzle. It was like night and day so it is possible I think.
For his behaviour have you ever had him in an obedience class? Much like I’d practise stays outside of Walmart to get my dog used to working in a busy atmosphere it helps to work a dog around other dogs. A class where you do lots of heeling around the other dogs can help as well…allows you to correct the behaviour with the instructor there to help you.
Good luck and keep us posted on how the surgery went.
Thank you, Piper! Having done the obedience classes with the previous three shelties, i have worked and trained Jax on the basic commands. I tried to enroll him in agility classes, but the class was over one hour away and just didnt work with my schedule, I do run hi every day in the yars and he loves to retrieve balls so he does expend that pent up energy! :) I am thinking of working with a trainer one on one.

Regarding the behavior after neutering, I would be ecstatic if his attitude and behavior during our walks changed! I am always on guard while walking him knowing certain dogs just "set him off!" I can certainly handle the high energy, it gets me out and walking a lot, which I love., especially during the winter months when I cannot play tennis or pickle ball! :) Thank you for your input. Much appreciate.
 
Update on Jac. The surgery went well yesterday and the surgeon called this morning to give an update. Jac had a small amount of canned food this morning, had a bit of diarrhea, which is expected. I will be picking him up today and monitor him closely when doing his business. I sure hope this procedure works and the straining to defecate is a distant memory. I cannot wait to see my boy! Thank you for all of your comments.
 
I'm sorry Jax had to have surgery, but I'm delighted to hear he came through well. We've had Shelties with varying personalities. Beckon was very reserved and not interested in being around dogs other than his pack. He's growl at strange dogs and sometimes lunge; Layla was pleasant to everyone and tolerated all dogs. Annie Laurie didn't like kids and would bite them given the chance. Bitsy Boodle adored all kids and all adults, especially if they'd throw the ball for her. Penny is quite shy with everyone. Asher adores the whole world!!!

Don't worry if Jax has his own preferences.
 
I'm sorry Jax had to have surgery, but I'm delighted to hear he came through well. We've had Shelties with varying personalities. Beckon was very reserved and not interested in being around dogs other than his pack. He's growl at strange dogs and sometimes lunge; Layla was pleasant to everyone and tolerated all dogs. Annie Laurie didn't like kids and would bite them given the chance. Bitsy Boodle adored all kids and all adults, especially if they'd throw the ball for her. Penny is quite shy with everyone. Asher adores the whole world!!!

Don't worry if Jax has his own preferences.
I couldn’t agree more Chris! Mine all have different personalities as well! Piper loves everyone and has no problem putting his front paws on someone to say hi. Blueberry thinks everyone is there to serve her and if your not fast enough she’ll let you know and Finnie likes everyone but isn’t 100% so he’ll bark at strangers but will allow you to pet him. He’s my main tail wagger, just a happy boy who generally has a toy in his mouth and my cuddler. All different but all sweethearts and I wouldn’t change a thing (ok maybe Blueberry…I’d change her:ROFLMAO:).
 
Back
Top