Pet Stores in New York City

PreciousSheltie

Forums Enthusiast
I am officially going on a 4 day trip to NYC with best friends to celebrate my birthday next weekend and hopefully will keep as busy as I can to help ease past August 12, the first death anniversary of my first sheltie. I finally decided that it would be best to be away from home to during this time period (my family will be caring for Precious while I'm away).

The last time I was in NYC was 2 years ago but it was more so for getting to see all the historical/MUST -SEE things as a tourist (Time Square, Central Park, Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, MOMA [museum], Rockefeller Building, Wax Museum, Wall Street, Ground Zero, Brooklyn Bridge, etc)

This time around, we hope to skip all of that and check out the smaller things we didn't see the first time around and really check out local places, etc than just sightsee. We'll be staying in and around close to time square for the most part I think. Would anyone have any tourist-like recommendations of things I should see/check out? To have fun? Good places to shop, good places to eat (maybe its just me but my last time i was there... I couldn't find a single good place to eat.... so I really hope to find a good eatery this time.. Maybe it was a bad street, but I just couldn't find a decent place to eat).

As excited as I will be exploring the city, I hope that in my 4 days, to browse through some pet stores or see anything pet related while I'm there (hopefully I can bring a toy or something for Precious on my trip atleast) as I didn't see anything in NYC on my last visit. I hope people will leave us many great tips until my trip next week! Thank you!! Looking forward to everyone's comments!
 
With few exceptions, and believe me, I've done my homework on this lately as I look into going into a pet franchise, most pet shopts pretty much stock the same stuff.

If you really want unique stuff, then you go online.

NY might be a little different. I suppose NY 5th Avenue pet stores might sell more "bling" if that is what you want. I wouldn't bother though.

Bringing home something for Precious would be "guilt" buying only.

Guess what!? our pups only do guilt "at the moment". i.e. when you are leaving the house. You can't buy them with treasures to give them when you get back.

By all means, buy whatever you want to make yourself feel better, but the dogs won't really care in the long run. All they want is you!
 
Ahh you're coming to my hometown!

I've lived in NYC my whole life and have never visited the Empire State Building or the Statue of Liberty...one of these days I will :lol:.

You didn't list The Museum of Natural History or a Broadway show, so I'd definitely recommend those. Wicked is my favorite Broadway play, but I haven't been to a show in a while. I heard Jersey Boys, Rock of Age and The Book of Mormon are great shows. After a Broadway show, my family always likes to eat at The Palm Restaurant, which is on 50th street between Broadway and 8th ave.

Blockheads is a fun Mexican restaurant. They have good burritos and margaritas. Plus, you can sit and eat outside. It's on 50th between 8th & 9th ave. I used to go there all the time after work. I used to work in the big Paramount building on 50th and Broadway. Also, a famous dessert place is Serendipity. That's on 225 East 60th Street (between 2nd and 3rd Ave). I've never been there, but I've heard good things.

The best places to shop and eat (in my opinion) are downtown in the soho, tribeca, greenwich village area. John's of Bleeker Street is one of my favorite pizzerias in Manhattan.

As for pet stores...you mostly have the typical small pet food stores like every where else. There's a really nice Petco in Union Square and a really, really nice PetSmart on 632 Broadway (off of West Houston). There's also another pet store right up the block from that PetSmart called Happy Paws. That's on Lafayette and also off of Houston.

Have a great trip!!!
 
Last edited:
Ahh you're coming to my hometown!
Have a great trip!!!

Randi!!!!! Thank you soooo sooo much for ALL your great recommendations! I`ll definitely share your post with the friends I`m going on my trip with, I will definitely try to go to most of those places :) Thank you for telling me the locations of the petstores too, I`ve never been to a Petco, and though it may be the same as any other petstore, will definitely want to stop by there and check it out since its only in the states :) Anyways.. thanks for all the good words, appreciate it <3<3
 
Back
Top