pin brush question

pattymaine

Forums Enthusiast
I've read this thread but I still have a question--what brand(s) do folks use for a good pin brush to brush your pups?

I want to get a good one (I was hoping to get one from a vendor at the dog show but the vendor left before I got there). I've read comments about Chris Christensen products but are there any others you'd recommend or is that brand the gold standard?

Plus, if a CC brush is recommended, what type and how long should the pins be? (27 inch? smaller? longer?).

If you do know of other brands that are also good, could you share how you buy them--on the web, in a store-which one? etc.

Thanks in advance for your help! :smile2:
 
I've read this thread but I still have a question--what brand(s) do folks use for a good pin brush to brush your pups?

I want to get a good one (I was hoping to get one from a vendor at the dog show but the vendor left before I got there). I've read comments about Chris Christensen products but are there any others you'd recommend or is that brand the gold standard?

Plus, if a CC brush is recommended, what type and how long should the pins be? (27 inch? smaller? longer?).

If you do know of other brands that are also good, could you share how you buy them--on the web, in a store-which one? etc.

Thanks in advance for your help! :smile2:

Ive only used CC besides the no name type you can buy at petsmart/petco. I have several 27mm and 2 20mm...I Like the 20 for those times when the coat is shorter, although when they are in full coat the 27 works nicely!
I like the CC brand because the ends of the pins are ground and polished so they are not sharp, run a petstore brand brush up your arm, you will notice it leaves little scratch marks the CC since it is filed does not. They also last forever! The only time ive had to replace a brush is when I've left it ringside:mad:
 
Hi Patty,

We use the plain-old brown wooden brushes from Cherrybrook (apparently they're "PSI" brand - I've been using them for years and never noticed that):

http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodshow/vid/404101/catid/201/vname/PSI_Pin_Brushes

The "large" size, with the 20mm pins, should do it.

The pins do eventually start to "sink" in these brushes, but that's after a LOT of use... if you just need a brush to keep your pups looking spiffy, and not for intensive show-grooming, they're perfect. (Although again, we've been using these cheapies-but-goodies for all our home and show grooming for years and years.)

I've never really tried the CC brushes, though I have heard great things about them (and the handles are wonderfully comfy). I just know if I went and bought one I'd be guaranteed to leave it at ringside. :lol:
 
I have 3

1) The cheap brush that I bought before I knew anybetter
2) A CC 20mm oval
3) A CC 35mm oblong

Originally I thought the 35mm would be best for Indy who has incredibly thick, dense fur, but it turns out the opposite. I generally use the 20 on Indy and the 35mm on Bacca.

I love the oblong for getting into tighter places too.

I carry all my supplies around in my Walmart tote (which I adore). As a result of a few trips, the cheap brush, the pins are all sunk in. The other brushes, no problem. They go anywhere with no squishing.
 
Hi Patty...I actually got one from the Cherrybrook vendor at a dog show that isn't CC but I like it better. It's called All Systems and I love the shape of the handle--it's light but easy to hold. I bought the standard size and liked it so much I went back for the smaller, pocket size one at the next show. I use the 20mm and that seems to work just fine on our thin to dense coats. Here's the link to the brushes on the Cherrybrook website if you're interested.
http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cf...201/vname/All_Systems_Soft_Pin_Brushes__White
 
Last edited:
Here are my grooming products (you know better than to give me a photo oppertunity :razz:)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8703626&l=f5730ca91a&id=611815429

My pin brush is the CC 20. I just got it not long ago. I'm not sure how to sanitize these fancy brushes so I'm holding off on it until tomorrow. The slicker is the small slicker, and the comb is the smallest butter comb. I need more brushes, but it will have to wait for a bit. I wouldn't mind having some of that CC ear cleaner either. :biggrin2:

I got mine from Cherry Brook online, but you can order some of their products online through Amazon. If you order it by Amazon though you can't use some of their discount codes.
 
Last edited:
Here are my grooming products (you know better than to give me a photo oppertunity :razz:)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8703626&l=f5730ca91a&id=611815429

.

Ok, you left me no choice, but now I HAD to photograph my amazing Wallmart (cheap) tote bag, stuffed with CC and other products. I had ordered the CC tote, but it was on a long back order - then I found this. (Bacca stuck his nose in a couple of times to help demonstrate the products, but he quickly lost interest)

Lets see: 3 spray bottles (2 of CC products - Ice on Ice and Show Off; 1 of Naked Care - which I'm growing to love - Indy has never been so soft), 3 pin brushes (2 are CC), 1 Furminator, 2 combs, 1 slicker, baggie of baby wipes, drawer with cotton balls, silver pouch with my torture tools (scissor, clippers, razor). I can even squeeze my Pedicure and battery pack in a pinch!

I'm in grooming heaven! All I need next is a grooming table to save my back, and I'm set!
 
Last edited:
I just bought a CC wooden pin detangler and a small undercoat brush. Dumped my Doggy Man one -- what a piece of c**p, not to mention the girls hated being brushed. With the new ones, Layla actually CAME UP TO ME TO BE BRUSHED when I was working on Bits. :eek2: that has never happened!!!
 
I just bought a CC wooden pin detangler and a small undercoat brush. Dumped my Doggy Man one -- what a piece of c**p, not to mention the girls hated being brushed. With the new ones, Layla actually CAME UP TO ME TO BE BRUSHED when I was working on Bits. :eek2: that has never happened!!!

I love my wooden one...before I used it on the dogs I tried it on me...wow!! I loved it...sad to say Im back using my cheapy drug store brand and the dogs are using $50 brushes....whats wrong with that picture...hmmmm:lol:

Barb I ordered my newest grooming table from Cherrybrook...not sure if they ship to CA or not...but I love them as they are often up here at shows so I can pick up without shipping, although I did get my grooming table shipped to me and it wasnt that expensive...its nice its small and lightweight love it!
 
Back
Top